Chapter 2

I had been released from the hospital, but I hadn't been released from my parents.

"What the hell were you thinking?"

My dad yelled at me in the kitchen the night we got home. Mom only stood and watched. I knew as a fact my sisters were listening in, hiding somewhere in the room.

"He was in trouble dad! That kid might've died!"

"Yeah well so did you!"

"I didn't see anyone else around! Was I just gonna let him fall?"

"No! Well-no!"

"Well, how's that for doing something with my life?" I asked him before storming up the stairs, past my sisters who were perched at the top of the stairs and into my room.

--------------------------------------
Played it till my fingers bled,
Was the summer of 69'

I drummed my fingers to the beat of the music. The school library was quiet, which wasn't surprising considering it was indeed a library.

Suddenly the seat next to me was slid into. I jumped in surprise, and looked. Next to me sat a pretty blonde, wearing a nice blouse and skirt who looked a bit older then me. Probably a junior or senior.

"Hi, are you AJ?"

I pulled an earbud out of my ear. "Uh yeah? Why? Who's asking?"

The blonde smiled. "I'm Gwen, Gwen Stacy."

She stuck out her hand to shake and I hesitantly shook back.

"No offense Gwen, but why are you talking to me?"

"Oh, your parents had called the school and said you were in need of a math tutor. So here I am."

I sighed. Really? I thought.

"What's wrong?" Gwen looked at me concerned.

"Oh it's nothing it's just I don't really think I need this. I mean... I'm doing doing fine everywhere else."

Gwen nodded. "Yeah I know your an amazing writer. I read your school news articles all the time."

"Really?"

"Mmhm!" Gwen said enthusiastically. "But I know how parents are, what do you say you just give it a shot, for like 2 weeks, I won't give you extra homework, and you'll see how you like it."

I looked at her for a moment, then nodded. She seemed nice, so why not?

"Okay sure."

"Awesome! Okay so how about my house Thursday afternoon? My house?"

I nodded as she gave me a paper with her name, number and address on it.

"Okay bye AJ!!" Gwen walked out of the library and down the hall.

I smiled at her peppy vibe and put my earbud back in and continued working on my short story for English.

That's when an eerie feeling shook my system. I felt... Like I was being watched...

I looked up and around, at first not seeing anyone. But then my eyes landed on a guy. A tall guy with brown hair. He had a skater look to him, with his sweatshirt and jeans. The skater was leaning up against a bookshelf, and looking right at me.

I looked back at him for a moment, and he soon realized I was looking back at him so he looked away and scratched the back of his neck.

I shrugged and went back to writing for a little bit longer, but not before the bell rang and I left school for the day.

--------------------------------------

"Mom, I'm going to the park!" I yelled over my shoulder as I walked out of the house, my six string guitar strapped to my back and my song book in one hand.

I closed the door to my apartment and walked 2 blocks to the park.

The park was huge, had a playground, skate park, and plenty of lawn space.

I took my usual place under the big oak tree, and pulled out my guitar and opened my song book.

"Don't you, forget about me..." I sang softly and watched the guys at the skate park.

I continued to strum and hum while watching those guys do crazy tricks on their boards and bikes.

I sighed and leaned back against the tree, strumming now to one of my favorite songs.

It's all the same
Only the names have changed
Everyday
It seems we're wasting away
Another place
Where the faces are so cold
I drive all night
Just to get back home

I smiled as I began singing the chorus.

I'm a cowboy.
On the steel horse I ride.
I'm wanted.
Dead or alive.
I'm wanted.
Dead or alive.

That's when I saw him. The guy watching me in the library at school today. He rolled up to the skate park on a beaten up skateboard. The skater fist bumped with a couple of guys there before heading straight to the half pipe.

Curious, I stopped strumming for a moment, wanting to see just how skilled this guy was on his board.

He stood at the top, and then began his run. I was not disappointed. Skater guy was actually amazing. He was doing crazy tricks and jumps that made the other skaters look like amateurs.

"Nice job skater dude." I chuckled to myself then began strumming a different tune.

Steel to my trembling lips
How did the night ever get like this?
One shot and the whiskey goes down down down
Bottom of the bottle hits,
waking up my mind as I throw a fit
The breaking is taking me down down down

My hearts beating faster
I know what I'm after
I've been standing here my whole life
Everything I've seen twice
Now it's time I realized
It's spinning back around now
On this road I'm crawling
Save me cause I'm falling
Now I can't seem to breathe right

Cause I keep runnin' runnin' runnin' runnin' runnin' runnin' runnin' runnin'

Running from my heart...

I sighed in contentment and looked up from my strings, to see skater guy looking right at me. For the second time today.

I looked back at him and raised my eyebrows. He just looked down and began fiddling with his skateboard.

What the hell skater dude? I thought.

That's when I noticed the sun setting.

"Uh oh." I quickly got up and gathered my stuff before quickly walking out of the park.