Chapter 1

"Your failing math!"
"This is easy stuff!"
"Why can't you do anything right?!"
"Here's an idea! Go and actually do something with your life!"

I shivered and shoved my hands further into the pockets of my hoodie. No matter how hard I tried the sickening memory of the fight between my father and me would leave. It was just math... I was acing every other subject. But my father being... Well my father, feels that I have to ace all subjects. Why? Cause I'm apparently "so much better".

I scoffed at the thought, replaying every time I'd told him I was doing all that I could. The streets tonight in New York City didn't really seem to have it's happy glow, it's bustling aura. It seemed... Well...empty and sad.

My phone buzzed in my pocket and I reached down to look.

AJ, come back home your father's sorry about what he said. He wants to apologize. Please come home sweet heart. -Mom

I rolled my eyes and locked my phone again and continued walking quickly away from my apartment.

If he was actually sorry he'd stop doing this on a daily basis, I thought angrily.

I came to a crossroads, and to my left was the Williamsburg bridge, going to Manhattan. I shrugged and decided to take the scenic route. I loved the bridge at sunset.

The road was filled with cars... Traffic was raging and people were honking to their hearts desire. Well that was New York, take it or leave it. However the sidewalk remained almost untouched, with an occasional biker here and there. The sun was just dipping down on the water, and it's beauty almost made my sourness go away, almost.

But my luck seems to run out too quickly.

Screams erupted from the other side of the bridge, and I almost didn't believe my eyes when I saw cars being thrown off the bridge down into the water below.

People began jumping from their cars and running away, screaming and yelling.

You'd think that my animal instincts would tell me to run, to hide, to get the hell out of there. And suddenly I found myself running, not away, but to the flying cars. As fast as my converse covered feet could carry me.

The crowd of people running became thicker and thicker the closer I got.

Suddenly the throwing of the cars stopped, and all the fleeing people had gone. Running to the side of the railing I looked down into the water for the cars, but only to see them being held up by thin prices of thread. Almost like... Spiderwebs...

I turned suddenly at the sound of a faint growl, and saw a gigantic green tail disappear under the bridge.

"What the-" I whispered.

"Somebody help!!!"

I looked quickly to my left, to see a man in is mid 40s leaning over the railing, looking down at a suspended car.

"Help me my kid is trapped!"

My heart almost cracking half as I looked down at the swaying minivan. I didn't want to picture what the kid looked like in there: sad, confused and mostly terrified.

Suddenly the words my dad shouted at me came flooding back.

"Here's an idea! Go and actually do something with your life!"

Suddenly I had an idea. A brilliantly stupid idea.

I sprinted over to the distraught father, and sat on top of the railing.

"What are you doing?!" He asked shocked.

I turned to him. "I'm gonna save your kid."

I mock saluted him then slid down the thin, spiderweb-like wire like a fireman's pole.