Chapter 2: The First Assignment

I apologize for the long wait and that it isn't very long. Once I actually started writing it, it just flowed together, and I had a bit of writers block (I knew what I wanted to happen but not how to get from point A to point B). Once I started writing, I realized I had ideas that had been hiding themselves from me... so... Enjoy, let me know your thoughts, etc...

Ely:

Dominic climbed into the driver's seat as Jordan called shot gun. I didn't mind, considering I had the shortest legs. Shawn had a small smile on his face and I understood why when we got in and he pulled me across the back seat so that I was sitting next to him. "You can have shot gun. I get El." He said teasingly.

Jordan and Shawn had loaded all our stuff in the SUV while Dominic and I had stashed weapons in the car. It was still dark when we left, but that just meant we'd be less likely to get spotted.

I buckled my seat belt and Dominic took off like a speed demon, his phone set up to give him directions to where we needed to go.

~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~

"Are you sure we need to reach speeds over a hundred miles per hour?" Jordan asked nervously from the back seat.

Dominic snorted from the driver's seat, "I'm not even close to going that fast."

Shawn sighed, but stayed silent. I watched out my window as the scenery seemed to fly by at an alarming rate, "Are you sure we shouldn't slow down? Especially with that turn in the road up ahead?" I asked, cringing when I realized how fast we were coming up on it.

Dominic slowed down easily and shook his head, "Y'all have no faith in my ability to get there in one piece." He griped.

Shawn glanced at us and then back at Dominic, "The others are right. We're supposed to be inconspicuous, not drawing attention to ourselves by speeding into town like the bats of hell are after us."

Dominic simply nodded and slowed the car to an acceptable speed. A quick look at Dominic's phone told me that we had another hour before we'd reach our destination, so I made myself comfortable with my head on Shawn's lap as I ended up napping.

"Ely, are you coming?" I gave a short nod at Shawn's question and followed him through the dining hall. Normally, the food that the cafeteria serves looks and tastes edible, but I was questioning these mashed potatoes.

Did it just move on its own? I was watching it closely and was seriously afraid that it would jump off my tray and attack me. Suddenly a foot appeared in the middle of my path out of nowhere and I tripped over it. I would have been alright with that if it hadn't been for Jaycee Barnes standing up at the same time.

It was almost as if time stood still while I tripped and my inedible and possibly alien mashed potatoes slid down the front of her dress. When my eyes finally glanced up at her face, she was livid. She and my school nemesis, Thomas, were siblings. They also shared the same hot headed temper.

"You!" She screeched.

Jordan had moved to stand between me and Jaycee. "I'm s-sorry." I muttered. I took a step backwards and bumped into someone else. My heart was pounding loudly in my ears as I took a deep breath and realized it was Shawn I had bumped into. I wasn't sure how he had moved behind me without me noticing, but I was grateful for his presence behind me.

Jaycee pushed past us and whispered to me on her way by, "You'll regret this, Bitch." She continued on her way, storming out of the dining hall.

I woke with a start and glanced around quickly. Shawn's fingers were lightly twirling strands of my hair as I yawned and sat up. "Sleep well, Babe?" He asked softly. I felt my cheeks redden slightly as I nodded. I figured he didn't really need to know about the dream I'd had. He'd been angry when it had really happened, I didn't want him to know that I'd started dreaming about the incident as well.

"How long was I out?" I asked softly.

"Nearly an hour. We're almost there. Dom's just finding us a good place to park that'll be out of the way, but easily accessible." Shawn replied.

Moments later, Dominic must have found a good place to park. Once the car was parked and we had all stepped out of it, Jordan grinned, "Ready to kick ass, Sunshine?" I giggled and nodded as he twirled a strand of my dark blond hair around one of his fingers and gave a slight tug. "Then let's go." He replied as he grabbed his bag out of the trunk.

Shawn nodded, "Jordan, you and Ely stick together. Dom and I will check out one end of the plaza and leave the other end to you two. We're also meeting the other team here, and they'll go over our work."

Jordan nodded, and gave a salute while saying, "Yes, Sir!"

I shook my head at his antics and asked, "Which side do we get?"

"The East side. We'll take the West." He replied.

Jordan nodded again and grabbed my hand. He pulled me after him, and I was really hoping he knew which side was the 'east' side, because I had no idea.

|W9(�wݩ��