Chapter 16

"He didn't make it."

Naomi dropped her phone onto the bed as she took in the words. Emily moved besides her to put a hand on her shoulder. 

"Naoms... what happened?" Emily softly asked. 

Naomi turned towards the redhead with tears filling her eyes. "Kian's dead."

Emily felt her throat go dry. "What do you need me to do?" 

Naomi closed her eyes, causing some tears to fall down her face. She tucked herself into Emily's side. The redhead stroked her hair and held her while she cried. 

//

After Emily got Naomi to calm down enough, she offered to drive her back to the hospital. Naomi declined, saying it would be better to stay there. Kian's family would be coming back to the flat at some point tonight. Emily nodded in response before she got up to get dressed. She helped Naomi into some clean clothes and got her some water. 

"Do you regret it?" Emily asked quietly as she sat on the edge of the bed next to Naomi. 

"You're going to have to be more clear, Ems."

"Last night... today. Any if it?" Emily was looking down at her hands now.

Naomi sighed and ran a hand over her face. "I want to," she whispered. "I feel guilty."

"Yeah. Me too," Emily agreed, playing with the hem of her own shirt. 

"I'm sorry I keep ruining things," Naomi sniffed, tears brimming her eyes. 

Emily turned towards Naomi and pulled her into a hug. "You haven't ruined anything," she comforted her. 

"But I have," Naomi mumbled into Emily's shoulder. "Kian's dead because of me. I'm fucking up your relationship. God, I fucked you in our bed while he was lying in a hospital bed, dying."

Emily felt the guilt crack open her chest. She knew what they were doing was wrong but she hoped she could ignore it. The past few years had been full of her feeling bad about her life and her choices. She knew Naomi was right and that she was apart of the problem. So instead she held Naomi tighter while she stained her shirt with tears.  

"What can I do?" Emily whispered after Naomi calmed down a little.

"I don't know," Naomi replied quietly. 

Emily nodded before pressing a kiss to the blonde's head. "I have to go soon. I wish I could help more."

"How long are you staying in Bristol?" Naomi pulled back to look at her and Emily could almost hear the desperation in her voice. 

"I have a job lined up this weekend. I'm hoping it will be enough for me to get a flat and move back here," Emily explained softly.  

Naomi nodded and looked towards the alarm clock on the end table. "It's almost 10. They'll be here soon."

"Yeah, I should probably go," Emily replied standing up. 

"Yeah," Naomi quietly agreed, rising from the bed as well. 

"I'm really sorry, Naoms. Here, let me give you my number. Call me if you need me," Emily tried to comfort her as Naomi handed her her cell phone so she could enter her number. 

"I'll walk you out," Naomi answered as Emily handed her back her phone. 

The two made their way outside to Emily's car. As she unlocked the door, she gave Naomi a sad smile. "It'll be okay," Emily reassured her as she pulled her into a hug.