f o u r

Confusion

It was another day and another cleaning job for you. As you scrubbed the deck with much force that could peel the wood, you accidentally knocked over a thin sheathed sword that was propped up against the wall of the kitchen. Sighing, you wiped your wet hands on your trousers and picked the sword up.

As you were about to prop it up against the wall, you noticed that it was different from the swords you normally saw. It was curved and completely black on the outside, except for the tassels, which were made of gold thread. Unsheathing it, you saw that even the blade was long, thin in width, jet black, and single-edged.

You've never seen anything like it. It looked nothing like the European double-edged longswords you often saw. You stood there admiring it's black sheen and running your fingers lightly against the sharp edge, careful not to press too hard. 

"Excuse me," a quiet voice spoke from behind you.

You turned around to see a rather short young man; hair straight, short, neat, and as black as the sword. His skin had cold yellow undertones, his eyes were small and black, and his attire was strange. The expression on his face was somber, blank, and calm.

You couldn't make out where this man originated from. 

"Oh, I'm very sorry. I knocked it down as I was cleaning and I just picked it up to see it since I've never seen a sword like this in my life," You sheathed the blade and handed it back to him.

"My name is Kiku Honda. I'm from Japan in the East," he bowed, politely receiving the blade with both his hands and fixing it on his side, "What's your name? And where do you come from?" 

"My name is _____ and I'm from St. Ives, England,"

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance," he bowed again.

"Likewise," you nodded, unused to his bowing. Curious about the sword, you asked about it,

"This is an unusual-looking sword. Does it come from Japan? What do they call this blade?"

"Yes, it is called a katana."

"It's very beautiful. Nothing like English swords," you exclaimed, "How did you get it? Did you forge it yourself? Was it a gift?" 

"My late mother, The Empress of Japan, gifted this blade to me in hope that I may obtain the freedom I wished for," Kiku responded quietly, his eyes looking sad.

"You were a prince?" you gasped, "What are you doing on a pirate ship, then?"

"I wanted freedom. The royal life, no matter how glamorous it looks, in reality, it is nothing less than mundane." He answered, casting a glance at the ocean, "I became disinterested in royal duties ever since my mother passed away due to a fatal illness.

"I really am my mother's son; I had the same mindset as she did. My mother was an ordinary girl with extraordinary beauty which attracted the Emperor. She was chosen to be his wife. She hated being bound by rules, but she had to bear with it till she died.

"When she saw me, wanting to go visit the markets and my interest in an ordinary man's life, it was her desire for me to be free... even though I was the heir to the throne."

You gave him a sympathetic look.

"Therefore, my mother, who was a sword smith's daughter, personally forged this sword in secret and gifted it to me. She did not tell me why she had given it to me, but at her deathbed, she revealed the reason. She wanted me to break free.