IX

Opening her eyes, Adelaide gasped for air. Not recognizing her surroundings, she shot up and looked around frantically.

"Sweetie, lay back down. The scratches ain't gon' heal if you keep squirming." an unfamiliar voice was heard from her right and she moved her gaze, spotting a woman dressed as a nurse.

"Zach... where's Zach? Gray, Owen, Claire, where are they?" Adelaide inquired shakily and the nurse approached her.

"Calm down there. Miss Claire said they'll be outside, waiting for the boys' parents." the woman answered, her voice gentle, "Here, if you take this pill you're good to go. It's a painkiller."

Taking the small pill with some water the adult gave her, Adelaide swung her feet off the makeshift bed. She stood up and almost fell, but managed to leave the white tent after thanking the nice nurse.

Once she got outside, she scanned the building full of people. Not seeing any known person, she looked again as panic started filling her thoughts.

Maybe they left without me. I'm all alone, oh God, I'm going to

"Ades!" a yell snapped her out of her frantic thinking and her head involuntarily moved in that direction, and relief flushed over her when she saw who called her; it was Zach. Behind him there were Claire, Gray and two other people, who Adelaide assumed they were the Mitchell parents.

A wide grin creeped its way on her lips and Zach started running towards her. Once he was close enough, Adelaide opened her mouth to speak, but the words had never passed her lips as Zach caught her in a hug and spun her in the air a couple times.

"Zach!" she giggled and the boy let her down slowly.

"You scared the goddamn crap out of me, you know?" he exclaimed and Adelaide shrugged her shoulders, "I'm sorry I did, but it wasn't my fau—" she started, but Zach's lips on hers interrupted her.

At first, she was too shocked to even do something; but she eventually put her arms around Zach's neck and enjoyed the kiss. His hands were on her cheeks and Adelaide broke out of the kiss when she had no more air.

"That was fun." she grinned and Zach's eyebrow rose, "Wanna do it again?"

She shook her head, "Your parents are watching us." Zach couldn't help but lie, "Those are Claire's cousins, not my parents."

Adelaide threw her head back and laughed, "Zach, I know Claire's entire family. She only has a sister and no cousins. Judging by the way the woman is smiling to the man, she's your mother and she's very proud of you." she explained and Zach smiled, "I'd be proud too if my son got such a beautiful girlfriend."

Adelaide blushed and grabbed Zach's hand, "Let's go, I bet you have to tell them some things about me."

"I told them everything they need to know." Zach whispered as they were strolling towards the group of four.

As soon as they approached, Gray caught her in a hug. "You're okay!" the child exclaimed and Adelaide ruffled his blonde curls, "Yeah, I'm fine."

Once he let go, it was Claire's turn to give her assistant a bear hug, "I'm glad you're safe." she whispered with relief and Adelaide smiled.

After an awkward pause, Zach's mother spoke, "You must be Adelaide." she smiled.

"Yes." Adelaide smiled back politely and the woman wrapped her arms around the girl, "I'm Karen. Thank you for saving my boys."

"No problem." Adelaide assured and looked over at Zach, who was grinning like a madman.

"Zach's very fond of you." Karen laughed and Zach covered his eyes in embarassment, "You should've heard how many sweet words he said about you."

"Mom, not now!" the teenager rolled his eyes in exasperation and everyone burst into laughter.

"What happens now?" Adelaide asked, fearing for the worst.

"We stick together," Zach entwined his fingers with hers, "You're coming with us."