III

Claiming their seats inside the transparent Gyrosphere, the three were ready to go. It was Adelaide's first time riding in such a contraption as well, which only helped in regards to her excitement. Spending time in the boys' company was turning out to be quite fun---and Claire had texted her to inform her that she was on a break from her job as her assistant for the duration of the boys' stay. That made Adelaide more than giddy---how could she not enjoy a break from her greatly-treasured, but often tedious job?

"So, who's driving?" Gray asked, shifting so he could fit more comfortably in his seat.

"I am," Adelaide and Zach claimed at the same time, then looked at each other, awkward smiles playing on their lips.

Zach gestured towards the joystick. "Please, go ahead."

Adelaide wrapped her fingers around the cold, smooth surface. Instantly, a video of Jimmy Fallon began playing on the small screen in front of them. He was meant to instruct---or at least try to instruct---people in regards to the safety measures of the Gyrospheres. The boys giggled, whereas Adelaide remained unamused, as the man spilt venom all over his face and hands, causing him to collapse, paralyzed. As soon as the video ended abruptly, the Gyrosphere began moving through the bare plains. Adelaide was alert, minding her speed at all times. It seemed that driving a Jeep and a Gyrosphere were totally different things.

"Where are the dinosaurs?" asked Gray, disappointment leaking into his voice, as he tapped his fingers rhythmically against the glass wall.

"Can you just shut---" Zach started, but Adelaide's murderous glare cut off his words like a sharp knife. He corrected himself right away. "We'll probably see them soon."

The girl smiled to herself, gazing beyond the transparent wall encapsulating her, scanning the fields for any sort of creature---not even birds that didn't belong to the park flew across the sky. Adelaide would've hated to let Gray down, already taking a liking to the short bundle of energy. And his not-so-despicable older brother, too. Thus, Adelaide increased the speed of the Gyrosphere, who shot forward and enticed a yelp from the three. Before long, fortune smiled at them. Adelaide slowed down, for they were now strolling through a pack of huge, herbivorous Apatosaurs.

"Woah," Gray gawked, the massive dinosaurs unperturbed as the three wove their way through them.

Adelaide's grin crinkled the skin around her eyes as she stared, awed, at the prehistoric creatures. Although she'd been familiar with them for quite some time, they still managed to leave her breathless. Ancient, yet there---a mix of old and new that had been believed to be impossible for thousands of years. Adelaide, Zach and Gray were still marvelling when the creatures started trotting faster and faster, their carefree stroll quickly replaced by a startled sprint.

Gray noted the sudden change in behaviour. "What's happening?" 

Zach shrugged it off. "They must've seen us and gotten scared, right?" he assumed.

"I guess," Adelaide approved after a moment's hesitation, strands of her dark hair clinging to her forehead. 

Gray relaxed behind them and continued making verbal notes of the species surrounding him while recording himself. Zach and Adelaide tried to remain as silent as possible in order to not interrupt the boy, but, occasionally, one of his remarks would crack them up.

"Can I try?" Zach asked, pointing to the Gyrosphere's joystick.

Adelaide nodded. She lifted her hand off of it, but it had been one moment too late---Zach's hand touched hers, fingers against the back of her palm. A surge of energy shot up her arm, and Adelaide found herself blushing once again. There was no denying she found Zach Mitchell attractive---he was the type of boy she'd have checked out twice if she'd met him on the continent, but she'd been in long-distance relationships before and she knew they never worked out. Thus, Adelaide compelled herself to dismiss the feeling at once. Zach tensed up for a moment, then proceeded to guide them towards a huge fence.