Jonah Clarke Is Victorious

Start from the beginning

Daniel can't even reply. He just stares at a point on the wall just above Jonah's head.

"I guess I better go get dressed," Jonah says, rubbing the back of his neck which only serves to make the boxers begin to slip ever so slightly lower, not that Daniel notices or anything.

Daniel nods and keeps his gaze away from Jonah who stands awkwardly in the middle of the kitchen for a few moments before departing with a wave.

Ruth has been watching the entire exchange with a bemused smile on her face.

"Y'know I think you're the first person that's ever managed to make my brother speechless," Ruth comments when Jonah is out of earshot.

Daniel looks up at her in surprise.

"I'm sure that's not true."

Ruth just hums in reply, giving no sign as to whether she disagrees with Daniel or not.

Conversation seems to dry up after that, Daniel is so preoccupied with reliving every single of that awkward moment that he finds it difficult to keep up with Ruth's conversation. After a while he gives up, letting her chatter away and making noises of agreement every so often. When Daniel has exhausted the memory of Jonah's tanned chest his gaze flickers around the kitchen from his perch on the countertop. Every single part of the kitchen seems to exude money, from the shiny slate grey coffee machine that sits atop one of the counters to the array of magazines and newspapers that are scattered actors the tabletop. Daniel had heard rumours about Jonah's wealth, but only now is he realising how true those rumours are.

Despite all this Daniel can't say that the house appears particularly 'friendly'. In fact a single picture of Ruth and Jonah stuck to the fridge appears to be the only sign that anyone lives here at all, and that it's not just some display home for people to contemplate buying. And Daniel has been here a good half an hour at least, and he's yet to see any sign of Jonah's parents despite it being a Saturday afternoon and Daniel is shocked to realise that Jonah's parents are never really brought into conversation. He seems to love his sister, but his parents are nothing more than fleeting comments before the conversation is swiftly changed.

It's only when Daniel hears footsteps thundering down the stairs once again that he is shook out of his thoughts.

He plasters a grin on his face and desperately tries to clear this mind of any thoughts of a topless Jonah Clarke.

xxx

Jonah isn't sure why he's nervous, but it seems to have something to do with the boy sat as far away from him on the sofa as possible.

But he shouldn't be nervous, and Jonah reminds himself of that as he grabs the remote off the coffee table and quickly brings up Sky Sports.

"So who's playing?" Daniel asks Jonah.

It takes Jonah a few moments to work out what Daniel is asking; his brain seems to be distracted. Focusing on the way that Daniel looks like he belongs on Jonah's sofa, as if he's always been there.

"Arsenal and Sunderland," Jonah says. "Do you want anything to eat?"

Jonah doesn't even wait for Daniel to reply; instead he hurries into the kitchen and grabs some snacks and a drink for himself before heading back towards Daniel.

Any sensible person would have done it in two trips, but Jonah is rarely ever described as sensible and so he desperately tries to balance the selection of food and his drink as he opens the door. He surprisingly manages it, but placing it all down on the coffee table seems to create a task of its own. Jonah thinks he's got away with it and then his glass tilts dangerously in his hand and before Jonah has a chance to stop it, the liquid is splattered all over Daniel and Jonah can do nothing but stare open-mouthed as it spreads across Daniel's shirt.