A PLACE TO CALL HOME | LYA

I wondered if I'd ever get how New York's subway worked... Considering how rude people seemed to be in this City, it was necessary for me to quickly get the trick.

I walked to the residence and eventually got there, out of breath, exhausted of dragging my suitcase around. I guess I should have taken a taxi...

It looked better than the pictures. It was a really old, grey building that seriously needed a good high pressure cleaning. There was a dozen step stair to get to the front door of the residence. Obviously, the person who drew the plans of the building never thought about poor persons like me who were carrying a heavy suitcase with them.

I used my last push of strength to drag the massive luggage up the stairs and entered the building.

The lobby was wide and open, with white marble floors and grey painted walls where pictures of New York were stuck on. On the right, there was a small front desk where a funky curly red hair girl with green eyes, cute freckles and full pink lips was sitting and playing a game on her phone. She was so absorbed into it that she didn't even see or hear me entering the premises.

"Hi! My name is Lya Clayton...ahem... I'm a new resident here..." I said while handing her my residence booking confirmation.

She raised her head to me and immediately put down her phone. She gave me a bright smile and took the paper from my hands. She quickly went through it and smiled again.

"Welcome Lya, I'm Norin!" She grabbed something from a safe behind her desk. "Follow me?"

I walked with her to the elevator.

"So... Where are you from?" She asked.

"Florida..."

"Oh... I was in Miami last week"

"Ah! I'm from Orlando though"

She pulled a face, clearly showing that she didn't like that city at all, which made me laugh.

"Well, at least you managed to escape. Now... Let me tell you how things work here. You're assigned to an apartment that has its own kitchen and bathroom. All the units here are the same, 500 sq ft studios. The residence is mixed, but each floor is either 'male' or 'female' only. Downstairs, you will find a library, a game room and an event room. There is also a computer room next to the library, if you need. But all our units have WiFi, so if you have a laptop, you're good. There is a roof terrace open 24/7 with two barbecues, some tables and some chairs. If you have guests, they need to register at the front desk. No parties allowed. No pets allowed. And if you need anything, just go to the front desk."

My studio was located on the 7th floor. It was big. Bigger than I thought. Furniture's were basic but it had the essentials. The view was nothing particular. My side of the building was facing the back of another smaller edifice. I could almost see what was happening inside the neighbor's apartment. It was no big deal though. It's not like I had planned to spend a lot if time inside my apartment.

After she finished explaining me all the rules, Norin left me a set of keys and let me settle.

Here I was! My dream was finally a reality. I had my own place, left everything behind and was now ready to live the life of a New Yorker.

I started unpacking the few things I managed to take with me, mostly clothes and shoes. I already knew that I would have to buy winter clothes... Something I never needed back in Florida.

I had one week before the beginning of the semester. It was enough time for me to explore the city and maybe even figure out how the subway worked. I was really impatient.