Chapter Four

Chapter 4

The harvest moon hung low in the eastern sky. The night was still young. Heslung his pack over his shoulder and, with one hand holding his hat on his head, raced toward the well, his pulse pounding in his ears. He couldn’t believe it. They were headed for the Lost Forest—Javinian territory. He was too excited to be afraid. He had been chosen. A real pilgrim. And he was on a real adventure, like he’d always dreamed.

The woods thickened. Trees closed in overhead, their leafy branches blocking all but a hint of moonlight. Kiran had to slow to a walk. The shouts of fighting men rose from the village. Kiran bit his lip. He tried to see what was happening, but the only thing he could make out in the moonlight was the Temple, in stark silhouette against the golden shimmering bay.

As he approached the old abandoned well, he searched the shadows for Bria. He saw Jandon first. Deke stood behind him, as calm and composed as an Elder waiting for his followers to gather before him. Bhau was there, too, shifting from one foot to the other, his hand on the hilt of the dagger at his waist.

“Look who dared to show,” Bhau sneered.

Deke stepped in front of him. “I don’t know what Aldwyn thinks he’s doing, sending you, but you better be up to it.”

Kiran glared back at him but said nothing. He leaned against a tree to wait. The chirrup of crickets grew louder in the still night.

Jandon whispered to Kiran. “I can’t believe we’re really going. Why would they send us? I mean, why the girls? Better yet, why Roh?”

Kiran was surprised. He hardly knew Roh, who was older than the other boys, and couldn't recall ever seeing him at the weekly Worship of the Followers. But Kiran wasn’t aware of any reason he wouldn’t be as worthy as the rest of them. Rumors were that he and his mother lived alone by the edge of the Lost Forest and had no farm. How he made a living, Kiran didn’t know.

“We don’t need his kind of trouble,” Bhau said with a grunt. “He's just like his father.”

“What about his father?” Kiran asked, curious now.

Deke looked at Bhau, then back to Kiran. His black eyes narrowed. He leaned in and spoke in a low whisper. “They sent him along with us to be rid of him, I'm sure of it. He's a bad seed.”

The crickets stopped chirping. They all tensed, alert.

Bria and Kail appeared in the clearing escorted by the warrior Tobin. Bria greeted Kiran with a smile, her green eyes shining in the moonlight. Kiran’s heart beat faster.

“Good evening, boys,” she said, leaning on her walking staff, as calm as if they were headed out berry picking on a sunny, spring day. Kail stood behind Bria, her eyes downcast. The loaded pack looked enormous on her tiny frame.

Bhau motioned for them to step out of the clearing and into the shadows. “We’re just waiting for Roh, now,” he whispered.

“I’m here.”

Bhau swung around, his dagger raised.

Roh was leaning on the tree right behind him.

“How long have you been there? Why didn’t you announce yourself?” Bhau demanded.

Roh shrugged.

Kiran shot a glance at Deke. The crickets had never paused.

“All right. Listen to me now,” Tobin said. “To get through the Lost Forest, follow this ridge. It leads to a hidden pass over the mountains. Once you are on the other side, back down among the trees, look for a stream. That’s the border.”