The door opens and a teenage boy answers. I gasp, hiding my surprise. Paul. He looks so different, but his eyes, nose, and lips are still the same. That's how I am able to recognize him, even after eleven or so years.

"Can I help you?" He asks, adjusting some reading glasses he has perched on his nose. I remember how perfect his vision always was when we were little, and I wonder how often he has to wear the glasses. I shake my head, reminding myself of my reason for being here.

"I met your parents at the Social Gathering," I say quietly. "I was going to come talk to them, but I fell on the way. Do you happen to know of someplace I could get a spare dress? Does your mother happen to have a dress I could use?"

"I don't know—" Paul says, his hip jutting to the side, holding the door open. "My parents are out for dinner. They always go out after Social Gatherings."

"I promise I will return it," I say somewhat desperate. I'm desperate to get a dress that I can wear so that I can finally leave the Social Gathering behind me. And I'm even more desperate to be out of my brother's presence.

"Well, I guess it'll be okay. My mom has plenty of dresses, missing one won't hurt her." He says, opening the door wide enough for me to get through. I walk into the foyer, nearly brought to tears when familiarity takes control. Nothing has changed since I left. Our family picture; the last one taken before I was Abandoned, is still hanging above our large fireplace. The furniture hasn't moved an inch since I left. The house even still smells faintly of lavender. My parents used to light a lavender candle in the kitchen, and the smell would waft out into all the other rooms on the lower level of our house. The foyer and living room are on the wall opposite the kitchen, so the smell is strong, but I don't mind.

"Thank you," I say, giving him a small smile.

"Um, if you don't mind, I think I'll bring one down to you," Paul says, retreating to the stairs. I understand his distrust. If a stranger came to me, asking for a dress or all things, I probably wouldn't think of it as a legitimate story either. Or it could just be that he doesn't want me in his—our parent's room.

I glance around the room again, taking in the décor. It really hasn't changed. Not the throw pillows, not the drapes or the curtains, not even the trinkets my mom kept on her bookshelves. I wonder if they kept everything the same because of me leaving. Did they miss me all the years I've been gone? Was I a constant thought, or was I hidden behind the thoughts of daily life?

"I brought a few for you to choose from," Paul says. He emerges with four or five dress slung over his shoulder. He sets them on the couch, and spreads them out so that I can look at each one. There are four in all, each one a different style and color. One is a white dress that almost looks like a wedding dress, and it's mermaid style; strapless, with a jewel belt around the waist. I glance at the others, and one really catches my attention.

"What kind of dress is this?" I ask, running my hand over the fabric, glancing at Paul.

He sighs, leaning closer to examine the dress.

"It's a quarter sleeve chiffon evening gown. And the color is auburn," He says, and I am surprised by his knowledge on dresses. He laughs, as if guessing at my thoughts. "When you don't have any sisters, you get roped into a lot of dress shopping. I feel like my mom has drilled every style, fabric, and color possible into my head."

I look closely at the dress, noticing that it too has a very intricate belt, made of pearls and jewels. It shimmers, and I run my fingers over it.

"Thank you for helping me; a complete stranger," I say, holding the dress up so I can look at it closer. It is an amazing dress; one of the most beautiful dresses I've ever seen.

"You think I can pull this look off?" I ask, holding the dress up next to Lady Paula's body.

"Absolutely," He says, chuckling slightly, and I realize just how much I have missed my little brother.

I look towards the door, and sigh, looking towards the ground. I take small steps in the direction of the door, my heart squeezing with each step. Even though there were many years I promised myself this was the last place I'd ever want to be, right here, right now, there's no place I'd rather be. I want to stay here, show myself to family. Most of all, I want to start over. But I know that can't happen. I was forced out, told to leave. There's no way to change any of it.

"I should head back to the Social Gathering," I say, sneaking a look at my brother again. "I promise I will find a way to bring these clothes back as soon as I can."

"Don't worry too much about it," He says, smiling. "It'll look better on you anyway."

I walk out the door, letting Paul close it behind me, and I feel tears slip down my cheeks. I've faced many challenges in my life, most of which were during my time on the streets, but none compared to the few minutes I spent in my brother's company. It wasn't so much because I couldn't show him who I really am. It wasn't even the fact that he's gotten older, and I realize just how many year we missed together. The worst part was looking right into his eyes, and not seeing the recognition there. To him I was just a girl who needed a dress. To him, I was a clumsy partygoer. I feel my head spin, but one thought becomes clear in the midst of it all.

The next time I see my brother, he will know exactly who I am. I will make sure of it.

A/N~ So what were your thoughts? I'm working hard on making my chapters longer :D I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please, if you did, comment your thoughts and vote <3 Your feedback is greatly appreciated- Sarah