Wedding Duties

{Chanel's POV}

After my conversation with my grandfather, I went to bed with a lot to think about.

Ultimately he was right though.

While Luca may be my mate, and while he wants me to move in with him...I needed to make sure I was really ready to become part of his pack.

Before tonight's events I was all ready to jump in feet first and begin my life with my mate.

But now that my father was injured, as his only child...the responsibilities of his pack now fall on me.

I didn't rest easy after that.

.     .     .     .     .

When I woke up everything seemed to be happening in fast forward.

Hair was being done, makeup applied, heels strapped, and perfume spritzed.

"You ready?" I asked Evalina anxiously.

She smiled calmly, "I couldn't be any more ready than I am right now."

I admired her sureness.

I saw her into the car with her mother and then Kammie and I took off before them.

"You ok Chanel?"

I looked at Kammie. "I'll be fine, just have to figure some stuff out."

She nodded, I could tell she wanted to question me further but otherwise dropped it.

Once at the venue I gave the place one final walk-through to make sure everything was as Evalina wanted.

The flowers were fully bloomed and smelled heavenly, beautiful cream colored fabric draped the walls perfectly, the lighting twinkled beautifully alongside the candles. Everyone was dressed in their finest just like the night of my father's birthdays party.

Only I would make sure nothing would ruin this evening.

Suddenly a pair of arms wrapped themselves around my waist. "Miss me Pussycat."

I let my body lean against his and smiled at the growing familiarity of the warm little tingles he induced in me with his touch alone.

"Why can't life be as easy as just being in your arms?"

He kissed my neck and even my wolf purred in contentment.

"Tell me what's bothering you Pussycat." He sounded, his words full of concern for me.

I sighed, "we need to talk, but not right now love...I just want to enjoy this evening without Evalina or Cesare worrying."

I could feel his body tense up a bit. "How come I feel like I'm not gonna like this conversation?"

I turned and faced him, I brought my hand up and caressed his cheek.

"No more lies, secrets or running away...just remember that."

Before he could question me further Kammie came up. "You two ready."

I nodded.

Luca and I took our places and soon Evalina was right behind us.

Luca praised her beauty and I smiled on lovingly to watch my mate with his new niece.

We went back into position and soon the music started up, I knew it was time to go and the double doors opened with the sounds of the chosen music filling the small space.

I smiled as I held onto my Luca's arm, the hired photographers snapping pictures of our every move, in one moment I even tried to steal a glance at him only to find that he was already smiling down at me.

When we reached the end of the aisle he removed my hand from his arm, took the same hand into his own and then placed a sweet kiss onto my knuckles gently.

I knew I would be smiling like an idiot but I didn't care.

I tried to hold my composure as I turned away from him, Cesare smiling at our silent antics, I settled in my spot and fought hard not to look over at him as the music changed and finally I got to watch my best friend walk down the aisle toward her own mate.

Love filled their eyes and as stubborn as I am, I'm so glad that I turned down Luca's offer to elope this afternoon.

One day, when everything is right and I don't have any other obligations I actually look forward to getting married and settling down with Luca.

At this I did look over at him.

He, just like everyone else had his eyes glue on the happy couple. Meanwhile I only had eyes for him.

Then I remembered about the talk we would have to have tonight after the wedding. I didn't look forward to having to see the hurt in his face when I tell him I won't be able to go back with him.

No doubt he would think I was running again.

He may even think I'm trying to push him away.

But that just couldn't be further from the truth, truth was I finally have my mate and for the first time I actually feel like I could lose him.

I don't want to go but I know my dad needs me, I only hope Luca will understand and won't be too upset by my sudden change in plans.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard everyone begin to clap. I quickly joined the others in clapping for the newly announced couple and watched them leave down the aisle, Luca smiled at me as he approached holding out his hand toward me.

I gladly took it and followed behind Evalina and Cesare.

As soon as we were out of sight of the guests I went right back into maid of honor mode as I made sure everything was set up and ready for everyone to begin entering the reception area.

I motioned for the music and then the doors were opened for the guests while Evalina and Cesare held back to make their grand entrance.

Luca remained by my side as every one entered, shortly after the couple entered and began their first dance. The dance floor was opened for the party goers to join and Luca didn't waste any time to snake his arm around my waist and lead me to the dance floor.

As we moved along to the song perfectly the moment we were sharing was ruined the moment Luca leaned down and whispered into my ear.

"Don't think I've forgotten about a talk you apparently want to have with me."

I sighed.

"Luca...I-I won't be going back with you."

Much like I imagined, he didn't take the news well.

He completely stopped dancing before dragging the away from the dance floor and out of the venue all together.

"What the hell Chanel!?" He growled "what about no more lies, no more secrets, no more running away."

I actually got a little choked up.

"I-I'm not running away...You don't know how much I wish I COULD go with you, b-but...it's my father, I'm his only child, he's needs me Luca."

This time he pulled me into a tight hug.

"I'm sorry, I know I just keep hurting you and I truly don't deserve you, but I promise, one day I will be in your pack right next to you."

He sighed heavily and kissed my forhead, "I understand."

I looked at him.

"I'm sorry." He sounded sadly now.

"No I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry, do what you have to do for your family...the rest can wait." He smiled softly.

"You're too good for me."

He shrugged. "I try."

We went back into the venue and continued with the wedding. Only this time I was able to fully enjoy my mate as I knew I wasn't keeping any more secrets from him.