Escaping The Nightmare

Start from the beginning

At the same time they looked at me, I caught sight of a very stern looking lady, with silvery hairs mixed into her vibrant red hair. It took me a minute to put the pieces together, as I had never seen Miss B without her formal looking bun, and it was now falling around her shoulders as she fought to keep the compound zombie free. Her efforts were in vain though, as she was attacked from behind, a zombie biting into her shoulder.

I was glued to the ground in horror, as she fell to her knees and the zombies piled on top of her, all of them wanting a bit of the freshly fallen meal. It wasn't just Miss B though, several nameless guards had fallen to the same fate.

Someone stepped in front of me, blocking the bloodcurdling scene, warm hands cupped my cheeks and then I was looking into deep blue eyes, "... we need to get going... can you hear me?" Beck said, looking worried.

I nodded, having only caught the tail end of whatever he had been saying, "I .. yes," I said, keeping my eyes on him instead of the battle raging on behind him.

He nodded firmly and dropped his hands, picking one of mine up in his as he did so, and then turned to Adam and Ben, "Where are the others?" he all but demanded.

Ben was looking between Beck and I like he knew something I had yet to figure out, and it unnerved me. Adam was the one who spoke up, "We don't know, we went to check on Sam in the infirmary, you know to see what we could do?" Adam swallowed, "Anyways he wasn't there, and it had zombies mucking around like the owned the place," at this he looked mad, his hazel eyes turning a shade darker, "we took them out and then had a look around the place. No sign of Sam, but it looked like the infected got all the patients."

I nodded softly, "It makes sense," I said, making everyone look at me, "Sam knew they were dying, he probably stayed around as long as he could, but they were lost causes," I paused and hurried along, "not to say they weren't worth anything, but Sam had to be putting Dr. Venson as his number one priority," I looked around at the boys, "I mean, wouldn't you?"

There was quiet, and then Ben scratched at his scar on his eyebrow, "You're smart, Kodi, I think that's likely what happened."

I smiled faintly, and then Beck cleared his throat, "Right then, let's get going, I don't want to stick around for longer than we have to. Michael should be at the exit near the church, the one we just made, so not a lot of people know about it. It's actually a good thing, because it leads right on out to our safe house."

"Safe house?" Adam scrunched his eyebrows together, "You guys have a safe house?"

I looked at Beck, this information being news to me too, "Yes," he said, and squeezed my hand a little bit, "and obviously it's about to come in handy," bitterness crept into his voice and I rubbed my thumb across his knuckles absently.

Beck looked down at me with a start, his eyes searching mine.

Next to us, Ben cleared his throat, "Let's head out, Beck you lead the way," he vocalized.

The walk to the church was thankfully mostly clear, but to stay on the safe side we walked mostly behind houses and through yards, not taking the risk of walking on the roads or sidewalks. Beck kept his hand in mine, and although mine was caked in dry blood, dirt, and who knows what else, I kept mine firmly in his. It was like he anchored me, keeping my head firmly on what was going on, instead of what had already happened.

On the wall, behind the Church was a small doorway. You wouldn't know it was there unless you looked for it, because the handle was carved into the metal, and the door had simply been cut into the wall. I think, that there was supposed to be more work put into into it, but that had obviously not happened.