XII. Following the Harmonies of a Misfit

Start from the beginning

"You okay, Amanda?" She asked, her aqua green eyes scanning me over.

A light blush crept up my face and I nodded quickly, "Yeah...um... H-Helena--"

"What about her?" Dani hissed, her aqua green eyes suddenly hardening, erasing from all emotions. 

"She's with Rhea."

It only took three words for Dani's whole demeanor to stiffen and for those beautiful eyes of hers to lose all that edge and coldness. Three words that brought an emotion to flash through her eyes and for me to never expect to see it. 

Fear.

Fear who? I didn't know at the moment. Could she be afraid for Helena or Rhea? Or could she be afraid for herself? So many questions that plagued my mind yet didn't leave Dani's composure unnoticed. Her eyebrows knitted together in slight confusion.

"Dani?" I took a step towards her, my eyes trained on her face.

Quickly, Dani shook her head and passed by me not before saying, "I have to go."

Confused as I could ever be, I watched Dani run in the same direction I was coming from. It seemed she was heading towards the Yearbook room...though, I didn't tell her where they were. How did Dani know Helena was there? Did she know I joined the Yearbook Club? What was Rhea to them? 

I leaned against the wall, taking deep breaths and calming my heart yet my mind kept erupting with unanswered questions. Why was transferring school so dramatic? My last school wasn't like this. It was a public school where most people hardly knew each other. Cliques had their own spots that defined the school. In this academy, everyone knew each other. There was no cliques that separated anyone. It was like a family yet most of these girls had their closest friends and then their friends they hardly spill their secrets to.

Besides that, my last school didn't have intimidating guys chasing after me after I interrupted their bully beatdown with Helena. There wasn't a party in the opening of the woods when all of a sudden, gunshots go off and practically scare off many of the students. There wasn't any warnings thrown at me to stay away from certain people. Nor was there a girl beaten to a pulp with no recollection of who did it to her.

Nothing ever happened like that in my old school.

Why was it happening now?

Why were strange occurrences happening surrounding me?

Did I brought this upon myself?

Was this like a sample of karma for me to taste for doing something wrong in the past?

Why couldn't I have answers for these stupid questions?!

I closed my eyes, feeling like I was on the verge of tears. It was so exhausting to be so tired of the crap going on. I want to be in my room, deep within the covers of my bed, and away from all this drama. I want my mom to come in my room and tell me that it was just a lesson for me to learn in being here. I want to just laugh it off in the end and call this experience in transferring schools stupid and waste of time. I wanted that than being here.

As much as I continued with that fantasy of being in a untainted reality, something caught my attention.

It was a tune. 

A beautiful tune at that.

A strumming guitar's notes dancing in the wind and a voice so harmonically, almost enchanting. I peeled myself from the wall and followed to the beautiful sound. How could no on be entranced by this? How could no one come and discover where this beautiful harmony was coming from? I glanced behind me, hoping at least to have someone be hypnotized by this. Maybe it was the slight fear within me to be afraid of what I could come across to. 

As I reached the chemistry class, the door was ajar, leaving a small space for me to see inside. All I saw was a dark figure slightly hunch forward as they played their guitar so beautifully. I wanted to see more. I wanted to see who this person was with that enchanting voice. Cautiously, I pushed the door open slowly, hoping it didn't make noise and not interrupt the person. I squeezed my eyes shut and bit my lower lip as I continued to push open the door. After pushing it halfway, I sighed in relief and entered the class, careful not to bump into the noise as I continued to listen to the person singing.

"My father taught me firsthand how to be set free

 Give up and run away

 I wish I could drain out his half of blood in me

 But I'd still have his face

 I curse reflections everyday

 So help me...

 Please someone come quick

 I think I am losing it

 Forgive me I inherited this

 From a stranger I'll never miss..."

I was flabbergasted to think a girl could have such a talented voice. I never could have thought that then again, I was in an all-girls school. The girl continued to strum her guitar and if it wasn't for my stupid footing and knocking over a stool, I would have listened to the whole song but instead, I grabbed the girl's attention and met those cold eyes that seemed to scrutinize me.

I gulped, not bothering to pick up the stool and rather focus my attention to her. She placed her guitar on the desk, slowly getting to her feet. Her face was hard as stone similar to her dark hazel eyes that seemed more pronounce by her jet black hair which fell over her shoulders, framing her oval face. She held that intimidating aura around her really well and like Helena and Rhea, danger radiated from her. She wore a red and black flannel that was buttoned all the way up with black jeans and checkered Vans, nothing about her told me that she was apart of this school. She looked too...mature to be apart of this academy.

Her hazel eyes had seen many things, that's much I could muster up. Things that she wouldn't want to repeat. I don't know why but I had that gnawing feeling to just...hug her. It was as if my hug would suddenly hug her and keep those bad memories away just like how I felt for Ella. There were too many broken souls wandering this world, all looking for someone who would help mend them. 

"I-I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to disturb you," I stuttered, feeling the warmth suddenly creep up to my cheeks.

"Then, why are you here?" She asked, her voice cold and guarded.

"I heard you playing your guitar and singing and I...wanted to see how you looked like," it was a lame excuse, I knew that. It's not like I'm gonna tell her how I came across her singing while running away from a room that held two dangerous looking people.

The girl arched her eyebrow, hardly believing me yet didn't question me. She turned, grabbing her guitar and placing back in its case. It was silent again except for the trees' branches scratching against the windows. I felt awkward just standing there, wondering what to say to this girl. Not like I'm gonna blurt out, "You have pretty cool voice," and continue to stand there being gazed down by her. 

The clicks of the case snapped me out of my thoughts and watched the girl turn back around and settling her hazel eyes on me once again. 

"You need something?" Her eyes narrowed on me, searching for a reason to be guarded even more.

Before I could respond, a voice interjected which made the girl's body stiffen.

"Sam."

I looked back at Helena who seemed flustered and that anger that was brewing in those violet eyes was still untamed as she glared at the girl named Sam. Her short, black hair was tousled as if she ran her hands through it in frustration. The collar of her shirt was wrinkled and her knuckles on her right hand was red with a few cuts still bleeding. 

When I glanced back at Sam, that's when it all clicked.

'Call Sam. Let her take care of this.'

Shocked. Mortified. Furious. And disgusted.

That's how I felt when I looked back at Sam and she saw that too.

"You're the one who beat Lois up!" I yelled out and that is when the girl with the beautiful, angelic voice wasn't angelic in my eyes anymore.