Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

  Dad frowned when he saw the chair. "Dan, bring us another wooden chair. For the moment, Perri, you and Aiden can sit in the two sturdy chairs we have right here." He shot a pointed look at Dan.

  Aiden was smirking when he sat down on the chair where Dan had previously been. I took the other seat and intertwined my right hand with his left. Dad leaned forward expectantly. "So what do you have to tell us? I just saw you not long ago, surely you could have told me then."

  I took a deep breath before saying about how I went to think things over and how Jesse called out to me from the woods. I made sure that everyone was still listening and then launched into Jesse's story of how he met Rick in the orphanage, how they ended up hating each other, how Aiden became friends with Rick, and now how Jesse and Sera were being forced into working with the rogues.

  "They're planning on coming for us on Saturday," I finished. "Oh, and Jesse was somehow hiding his scent. That's another advantage they have."

  I looked to my right to see Aiden's reaction to this. His face was as white as a sheet, and he was shaking his head back and forth as if to say, no, this can't be real. He had already known that Rick was really lying all along, but now he had to process the fact that he had been friends with Rick whilst he was threatening Aiden's friends. He probably thought that there could have been something he could do to stop it, even though there wasn't. Who knows, if he'd tried to do something he could have ended up dead himself.

  And now, Sera and Jesse were stuck in their apartment alone with guards posted outside to make sure that they couldn't leave in order to tell us something. I wondered what was happening to Jesse right now. After all, he had knocked some of them out in order to escape. He should have brought Sera with him and stayed away for good, but maybe he thought it was too dangerous for her.

  I looked at Dad, and he was frowning deeply. He was probably thinking that we should send a team over to the apartments to “rescue” Sera and Jesse, but that wouldn't work because we didn't know how many people they would have there, and we couldn't move our whole team of warriors there because then who would defend the pack? It was best to just stay here and let them come to us.

  "Well," he said after a while. "Are you sure your source is reliable?"

  "Pretty sure," I said, and Aiden nodded his head from beside me. As far as I knew, Jesse was the person Aiden had trusted most in the group apart from Mark. He was more sensible than Rian and Lisa put together.

  "Okay," Dad said, as if he'd already known. "The best thing we can do is wait. We can meet them at the pack borders on Saturday. That way they can't get too close to the women and children unless they defeat us."

  "That reminds me," I said, brightening. "I'm helping in the fight, no arguments."

  Dad nodded in acceptance because he knew that I was a good fighter — not to be conceited or anything — but Aiden growled. "No, you won't."

  I rolled my eyes, "Yes I will, and you can't stop me."

  "What if I'm too busy worrying about you that I get distracted during a fight and die?" He asked, trying to play the guilt card. But it didn't work on me.

  "Well…" I drawled. "In that case, maybe you should be the one not fighting."

  He glared at me for a solid minute before reluctantly nodding. "Alright, but don't expect me to not make sure you're okay at all times."

  I sighed, but mustered up a smile at having gotten my way. "Of course."

~•~•~•~