Chapter 1. The She-Wolf

The high streets and motorways in Central London are chaotic today.  They are filled with frustrated drivers honking their horns, as traffic is now at a standstill.  Pedestrians are walking along every beautifully adorned street painstakingly, being careful not to bump into anyone.  However, this is proving to be a difficult task because of the massive crowding.  Their destination is obvious, as they are dressed in a celebratory fashion and heading in the same direction.   There is happiness and excitement evident on their faces,  despite the selected frenzy. 

The atmosphere is contagious too, causing a euphoric high like the feeling you get as a child on Christmas day. The cause of this euphoria is credited to,  Queen Elizabeth's, Diamond Jubilee celebration.  Her Majesty is celebrating sixty years on the throne.  The last time a Diamond Jubilee was celebrated was in 1897 by Queen Victoria during the Victorian Era.   As this is a once in a lifetime event, it was highly anticipated by the public, combined with their love for the Queen.

Glancing towards a Tube station, set methodically at an intersection, as it offered easy access to other transport and stores, I could see further evidence of the impending influx of more people spilling out into the streets.  Although this was expected, no one had anticipated such an astounding turnout. 

A special bank holiday was provisioned to accommodate the celebration today.  Normally,  it would have been the late May bank holiday but that was moved up a day to make appropriate room for the Queen.  The change was welcomed without protest as citizens across the UK are rewarded with a four day bank holiday instead of the normal three.

Bank holidays were irrelevant to me, so there was no benefit in the extended weekend only added stress.  I have to work around the clock to manage specific aspects of my companies;   Wilder & Wilder Law Firm, my parents second child, Q'rate It Global Enterprises and Cla'Desta Art Galleries, Inc.   I had worked the previous three days and thought I knew what to expect.   But as I'm stuck in the midst of traffic and seeing the much larger turnout,  I wished I had stayed at my flat in central instead of the main house last-night. This day is the last and biggest part of the celebration.  I should have used better judgement as it is proving to be even more of a hassle to get to the Tate Modern Museum via car.  The previous days had been unbearable,  but today is maddening as the only movements being made are by the happy pedestrians. 

  "Eddy?" I called as I quickly typed a reminder on my mobile for an important detail I remembered, I had to cancel a dinner appointment.  My hazel eyes stare at the white screen, my fingers hover, as I pondered momentarily if there was something else I needed to add.    

"Yes Ms. Wilder." He responded but my mind was elsewhere and I did not hear him.

As organized as I am, the upcoming appointment had completely eluded my memory.  Bloody hell! I'm only thirty three and having lapses in memory!  Mother and Father would not be impressed as they had the memories of elephants.  Until recently, I was sure I had inherited their genes.  I can forgive myself  however as I have every confidence that I will recover, because I know the reason for it all.  I had honestly thought I was going to be bald before thirty, but my raven black shoulder length hair is still thriving.  But I didn't, I made it through all the curve balls life tossed at me and I'm still dodging  a few.   I just have to focus and get through this last day,  then all would return to normal as this is the final piece and the most important. 

It is early morning and I am sitting in my company car, a white Bentley chauffeured by my driver of fifteen years, Eddy Pierce.  The beige leather seat is soft and comfortable.  And as cozy as it is at this very moment, I needed to get out.  This traffic is not moving an inch.  I glanced through the tinted windows of the car and I'm immediately reminded of the reasons.