Chapter 3

A/N: Thanks for the edits MellyHorror-Salvatore-Northman.

Eddie woke up to the sun shining through the window on her skin. She smiled as she remembered last night's talk with Jamie on the couch in the lounge. She remembered his legs brushing against hers and his handsome smile as he talked about his family and how much he loved them. She climbed out of bed, getting dressed for the day. She brushed her teeth, placed her hair in a bun and threw on some tinted Chapstick. She then made her way to meet Jamie at breakfast.

On the other side in the men's dorms Jamie had woken up, said good morning to Joe and was getting dressed. He finished by combing his hair quickly and making sure his teeth were brushed. He then made his way to breakfast like many of the other guys. He was excited to see Eddie again. He remembered everything about last night; from the sound of her delicate voice, to her infectious laugh and even the way she smiled at him. He loved the feeling of her legs brushing against his under the blanket.

When Jamie and Eddie made eye contact as they walked into the dining hall, they smiled at each other, before they made a beeline for the food line and grabbed trays plunking bowls of oatmeal and other breakfast items along with hot tea on them.

They sat down at their usual table and prayed for the food before them, tucking eagerly into breakfast. Today's breakfast consisted of oatmeal again for both of them with some fresh watermelon and strawberries on the side. They were both excited for this morning's fruit selection.

"Mmm... I love watermelon. These pieces are so juicy and delicious." Eddie said between bites of fruit.

Jamie laughed and replied "Yeah they are pretty juicy. The strawberries are really red and plump. They actually taste like strawberries too."

"Gosh lambchop if they keep spoiling us like this I might never want to leave." Eddie said with a laugh.

"Seriously? Well how about this... When you graduate I will have you over to mine once a week and I will make you breakfast, lunch and dinner." Jamie replied.

Eddie thought about the offer for a minute before she enthusiastically replied "Oh Jamie you're so sweet, I accept. I would love that. It is just me on my own now, so having someone cook for me once a week might be nice. I could actually use the company and interaction with someone. Thank you."

"You're welcome. I often get lonely in my week, opting to visit my dad and grandpa at their house. I stay and have dinner, a drink and sometimes a few rounds of the card game gin with my gramps." Jamie said, fondly.

"That sounds real nice. You sound so close to your family. Actually can I tell you a secret? Everyone around here is so close to their families it makes me really jealous. I long to have a relationship with my family and have them accept me for who I am." Eddie replied with tears falling down her face.

Jamie handed Eddie a handkerchief, reached for her hand and gave it a quick squeeze before letting go, "Hey its okay. Maybe you can try talking to your mom before you graduate and arrange for her to be there for you on the big day." Jamie said.

"Yeah but last time I saw her she was so mad at me for leaving our rich country club lifestyle to work for "peanuts" as she put it. And she was mad I didn't want to marry that rich guy from our club. I don't know if she will ever want to see me again let alone hear my voice on some telephone." Eddie replied. Eddie wiped some tears from her face with Jamie's handkerchief and tried to smile. She was having a hard time keeping it together.

"Listen in a few weeks I will try to get permission to make a telephone call. If I can get you permission then I will be right next to you when you call her and support you through this. What's the harm in seeing if she has changed her mind and maybe wants to be there. You won't know if you don't try Eddie." Jamie said in an encouraging tone.