Chapter 49: Ash's confession

Start from the beginning

Before I could slip into a exhausted sleep a loud growl vibrated through the air and my eyes flew open at the exact moment something big crashed into Anton, sending us both flying. I hit my head on something hard as my body made contact with the cold ground and I thought I was actually going to loose consciousness as black spots began to appear, clouding my vision for a moment. When I found myself still awake I forced my eyes to focus on the world around me and my eyes took in the scene before me while my mind tried to comprehend what just happened.

Five huge wolves were standing a few foot in front of me, their teeth bared and their eyes narrowed on something just over my head. I didn't want to turn my head to look at what was behind me but it was as if my body did it for me as my head turned and my eyes fell on the wolf standing behind me. Or more precisely...over me. His teeth was so close to my face that I could feel his breath fanning my face as he growled low in his throat.

I knew this was Lazarus without even being told so and I could feel my heart constrict a bit as I noticed the blood in his white fur and the red streaks stuck in his whiskers. He had been fighting pretty hard, at least that much was obvious. Whether or not he was seriously wounded or just barely scratched wasn't easy to say but even if he had been the one hurt or if he was the one hurting others I couldn't help it as my hand suddenly moved to brush at the redness on his face.

At first I thought he would bite my hand as it neared him but when he just kept growling I continued moving. When my fingers finally touched the surprisingly soft fur on the side of his face his growls got less terrifying. If I hand't known better I would have said that he looked sad as he stared at me while letting me slowly pet him. Maybe he was hurt after all?

Before I could do anything else Lazarus flicked his tongue out and landed a lick at my face, just above my left brow. I could only stare as he retracted his tongue and more red had been added to the read streams he already had falling from his jaw. I lifted a hand towards my own face and then took it down again after having pressed a few fingers against the place he had been licking. My hand were covered in blood and I suddenly understood that I was bleeding quite badly. Probably from hitting my head as we fell before.

Lazarus brought my attention back to him as he licked my face again but this time a dangerous growl could be heard from behind me. I shot Lazarus a tired smile as I forced out a small chuckle.

"They're just protective of me you know. I guess they're a bit jealous too but don't mind them. I know you...won't kill me. If you'd wanted that you could have done it already. I think...you should find something better to do with your life than kidnapping people though. Don't you think...you'll feel more... happy then? Ne Lazarus? Won't you...give it a chance? For me...?" I had to force my mouth to keep talking as the black spots returned and I could feel my body shutting down more and more.

I wanted him to understand that I didn't blame him for kidnapping me. I had been able to see his loneliness from being near him for a few days and I knew it wasn't pain he needed. Just as I had been living before , surrounded by nothing but misery and pain, he too needed someone to...love. Maybe he thought I could've been the one but it wasn't something he could decide. My fate was with my mates and his was with someone else, no doubt about it.

There is someone for everybody and it's just that you have to keep searching until you find that someone. When you do you'll know and then the only thing you need to do is to keep holding on to them and never give up no matter what. Maybe love isn't easy but it is sure worth it. In the end it is all worth it.

My last words before blacking out were barely audible but I knew they would be able to hear me. I just prayed that they would listen to me this time.

"Please...don't kill him..." I whispered and then the world went black.

[Two days later]

When I opened my eyes darkness met me. I blinked a few times, trying to remember where I was. When I finally did remember it was mostly centered around the rescue and the fight. Had anyone I known been hurt? Had they kept fighting even after I'd blacked out? Where was I? Why couldn't I see anything?