Chapter 13

We got home around nine. When we walked inside the house, Kyle, Mark and Joe were laughing and having the time of their lives watching videos on a popular website.

"Hey, girl's!" Joe exclaimed as he walked towards Karen and gave her a kiss. "Did you have fun."

"Yeah." I replied.

"We saw Bite Night." Karen said. "It was so good!"

"It wasn't that good mom." Lauren said, her arms folded across her chest.

"Well, I certainly enjoyed it." I replied. Karen smiled at me and I smiled back. Lauren ran upstairs and slammed her door shut.

"What's wrong with her?" Mark asked.

"I'll go talk to her." Karen said as she made her way up the stairs.

"Yo, Joe!" Kyle exclaimed. "Come look at this kid."

Joe layed his hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry, kid." He said. "She's just going through a phase."

I smiled at Joe and he went over to Kyle and Mark. I quietly made my way upstairs, this time hoping not to get caught eavesdropping.

I listened through the other side of the door and could hear crying. Lauren.

"Why doesn't she just leave!" Lauren exclaimed. Karen sighed.

"I know this is hard." She started. "This is hard for all of us, especially me. We just have to make her feel welcome. She's family. She's my daughter, your step-sister."

"She is nothing to me!" Lauren yelled.

"Oh Lauren." Karen said. "Try being in her shoes. Living without a mother and a father for sixteen years. What would you do? If I were her, I would go find my parents."

Lauren sighed angrily. "But you didn't want her here at first." She said.

"Now, listen to me Lauren." Karen snapped, her voice stern and authoritive. "I wasn't ready to see her. But that doesn't mean I wasn't thinking about her every single day and night. I was scared! I didn't know what to do. The reason why I didn't see or keep in touch with her is because I thought she didn't need me. I thought she'd forget about me and just live her life."

When they were done talking I quietly ran downstairs. The boys were still watching videos. I sat on the couch quietly, thinking about what Karen had just said.

So she was thinking about me. She wanted to see me, she just didn't know if I wanted to see her.