Chapter 9

"I wanted to see you." I replied.

My mother looked hurt and just angry. Why are my parents acting this way towards me?

"Come inside," My mother replied. "I'm going to call your grandmother."

I grabbed my mom's no.

"No, please." I begged. "She doesn't know I'm here. If she finds out, she'll kill me."

My mother slipped her arm from out of my grasp.

"Just come in." She ordered.

Kyle and I held hands and walked inside the big house. It was beautfiul. Everything was so shiny from the chandeliers to the countertops. We went into the family room where there were family pictures hanging up on the walls. My mom, her husband, and her two kids.

"I'll be back." She said. "Don't touch anything."

Kyle and I sat on the couch, looking around the house.

We sat in silence and my mother walked into the living room, sitting down on the opposite couch.

"Who sent you here?" She asked, drinking from a mug. She didn't even bother asking Kyle and I if we wanted something drink.

"I found my way over here." I lied. "I wanted to meet my parents after they had left me behind for sixteen years of my life."

Karen put her mug down and sighed.

"My husband will be home in a few." She said as she got up and walked to the kitchen.

Kyle and I sat in silence until her husband walked through the door.

"Is this her?" He asked, pointing at me.

My mother nodded.

Karen and her husband sat on the couch.

"What do you want?" He asked angrily. "Do you need money? What do you want?"

I shook my head in disgust.

"I don't need anything!" I practically shouted. "I just wanted to meet my parents."

"Look, Elizabeth." My mother started. "We, I, can't help you. My life is complete now. I'm glad you wanted to come and see me and Jesse but I have a life of my own. I have a husband and two kids. I can't do this right now. It's just too much."

"You should've at least kept in touch with your own mother and father." I said, referring to my grandparents.

"Do not talk to me like that." Karen said angrily.

"I can talk to you however I want." I replied angrily. "You don't take care of me, you don't buy me things. You left me with your mother and father because you couldn't handle it! All these years, I see my friend's and their parents and I wonder, where are mine? And to find out that you two weren't even making plans to see me, that hurts a lot."

Karen's face froze. She looked angry and sad at the same time. her husband got up.

"Stay here." he said pointing to me.

He took my mother and they went upstairs. I got up from the couch and headed upstairs.

"Liz." Kyle whispered. "What are you doing?" I shushed him adn quietly made my way up to the last step. I heard Karen and her husband arguing in the room. I listened.

"She needs to go back home." I heard Karen say.

"That's your daughter, Karen!" Her husband yelled. "You can't just leave her like that."

"She has a father too!" Karen yelled back. "I'm not the only one who dumped her on my parents!"

"You should have at least kept in touch." her husband said quietly. "Let her stay here."

"No!" Karen yelled. "I know she's my daughter, but I am no longer responsible for her, my parents are."

"Stop being selfish and take responsibility!" Her husband yelled.

"What are doing?" I turned around startled. It was Karen's daughter.