Chapter 8: Blow Off That Steam!

"Don't allow your wounds to transform you into someone you are not." --  Paulo Coelho

Sundays were always a lazy day for Rasheed. He had gone grocery shopping in the morning and cooked himself some lunch. But now he was left with nothing to do for the remainder of the day. And as much as some people would appreciate the free time, Rasheed absolutely despised it. He hated sitting around and watching Netflix. He hated the shows they brought up. He hated how easy they made life seem, he hated how they commercialized the wars into a whole genre of action movies and series.

"Yes, isn't it all so fun to watch when it's just a show." Rasheed thought bitterly.

He had had enough of doing nothing. Rasheed changed into his gym clothes and packed a pair of clean clothes to change into after. He was going to work off all the anger.

After a good three hours, Rasheed was dripping in sweat. He wiped his forehead with the towel, squeezing his water bottle till he had drained the last sip. Enough water, he wanted a cold refreshing drink. He picked up his stuff and went towards the vending machine.

As he approached the machine, he saw a peculiar sight. He could quite confidently say that he'd never seen anything like that back home. It was a hijabi in gym clothes. She was dressed modestly, and her shape was covered very well, but personally, Rasheed thought it was inconvenient for hijabis to come all the way to the gym for a workout. He thought they would just work out at home doing simple routines that they'd find on YouTube. Not hardcore workout at a gym.

The girl turned around frustrated.

"Hanaan?" Rasheed questioned surprised.

"Don't bother with this one, it's broken." Hanaan said, pointing her thumb towards the vending machine. "And I lost two dollars already."

"Let me try," Rasheed said as Hanaan stepped aside.

He banged the center of the vending machine with his fist and the drink fell out.

"Thanks." Hanaan said gratefully.

"So, you come to the gym?"

"Clearly." Hanaan muttered bothered by the question.

"Well, I just thought, you know, it's inconvenient for a hijabi to come to the gym dressed like that and all."

"Yeah, well it can be done."

"Also, the issue of modesty and all. I mean you're basically exercising in front of men." Rasheed added.

"What do you propose be the alternative Rasheed? Hijabis need to stay fit as well." Hanaan said sharply. "And as far as I'm concerned, I am dressed modestly."

"You could always work out at home, it's not impossible."

"Right, because at home I've got all these equipment to work out with right?" Hanaan snapped.

"I'm just saying."

"Whatever." Hanaan muttered through gritted teeth.

"Hey, look I didn't mean to offend you, it was just an opinion-"

"I'm not offended, I'm pissed off. Stop adding pointless complications to our religion. It is perfectly permissible for a girl to exercise and be fit and strong. In fact, a lady named Nusaybah physically fought to protect the prophet in the battle of Uhd. If she can do that, I can definitely come to the gym."

"Okay." Rasheed said.

What Rasheed had meant to say was he was sorry. But he couldn't. She had definitely outsmarted him, and he hated and admired that about her.

Then something struck him. Why was she so defensive about this? She could have shrugged him off or ignored the question. Why did Hanaan have to prove her point so strongly? Rasheed knew she had a strong personality, anyone who spent even a few hours with her would come to know that. But she was generally a friendly person. Even she did have to make a point, she wouldn't usually get so heated up.

Maybe there was more to the cheerful Hanaan than she was letting on.

Maybe Hanaan had a secret of her own.

The only question was, did Rasheed want to know what was under the surface?