6

And when I found you again... You had gone somewhere I couldn't follow you.

I started to walk out of the school building, Armin's words constantly buzzing in my mind. If I really thought about it, I was being a jerk towards Marco because I was hurt. I didn't want him to be content to leave, to leave me. I am so selfish.

I felt a hand grab me by the arm and instinctively I jumped forward and whipped around. There was Marco. He stood a few steps from me, "Sorry... I didn't mean to startle you. I thought you heard me calling you."

I looked to the side, slightly annoyed at myself for not paying attention, "Don't be sorry." I paused, I had to ask him, "Are you... really going to transfer?"

Marco looked down, "Yes."

That's it. I can't keep calm anymore. If I stay I'll get mad and say something I will regret. I turned on my heel and started to walk away but Marco grabbed my arm. He looked up at me, I could actually see anger lining his features. "It's not like I want to leave. I have to. I may not even have a choice in the matter." I just glared at him, he had valid reasons for leaving and I'm the one making it difficult for him but I just can't let him leave. He grabbed my arm tighter, his expression looking more soft, "What am I supposed to do? I don't know what I can do to make this better."

I grit my teeth. Barely audible, I say, "Don't leave me."

"What?" Marco looked a little surprised. I guess he did hear what I said, I was hoping he didn't.

I finally can't keep it in anymore, I practically yell at him, "Do I have to say it? I don't want you to leave! I don't want you to just leave and be out of my life. I care about you and I know it's selfish, but it hurts for to just walk away." I can't believe how everything is just spilling out, but I can't stop myself. "And I'm sorry for being an asshole today and I know it's not your fault but I can't change that it hurt because I think I'm in love with you and you're leaving me behind!"

I did not mean to say that last part... it just spilled out. I hadn't even admitted it to myself before I admitted it to him. I can see the weight of my words register on his face. His expression, shock. I rip my arm out of his grasp, snarling, "I don't care if you think it's weird or whatever, I can't change it." I turned and started to walk away, this was not what I wanted to have happen.

I only took a couple steps before Marco pulled on my shoulder, turning me back to face him. He looked at me completely seriously, asking, "Did you mean what you just said? All of it?"

I looked at him for a moment before saying, "Yes..." Just then, Armin's words flashed in my mind. If Marco really did like me then... I leaned in and pressed my lips firmly into his. I probably held it a moment too long, but I didn't want to let him go. But he didn't kiss me back, I just made a huge mistake. I break away from him and take a few steps back. I can't meet his eyes as I say, "Look I'm... sorry..."

"J-Jean..." I looked back up at Marco, his hand was resting over his lips and his face was flushed. "Did you just..." He looked like he was about to cry.

I grabbed his shoulders, suddenly concerned, "Marco, don't cry." A tear fell onto his cheek and without thinking, I wiped it off with my thumb, resting my hand on his soft cheek. "Look, I'm sorry, I'm sorry for everything."

Marco held my hand and smiled, "It's not like that, I'm just really happy." He held my hand tighter. "Jean, I hope you know that I don't want to leave you either. And I'm not sorry for the way things happened because I got to know how you feel. Because I'm in love with you too."

He gently took my face in his hands and leaned up to kiss me. I wrapped my arms around him, pulling him in close. It felt good to kiss Marco, I hadn't realized how much I wanted to. I pulled back, leaning my head against his. "Even if you stay or switch schools, I don't want to let you go. Marco... will you go out with me, like as my boyfriend?"

Marco closed his eyes and smiled, wrapping his arms around my shoulders, "Yes."

I heard footsteps come up from behind us and then Eren said, "I knew it."

Marco and I immediately broke apart, turning to face our entire group of friends. I couldn't help glaring at Eren and Marco saw, he smiled and took hold of my hand. "Yeah, we just started going out."

I lightly squeezed Marco's hand, if it wasn't for him, I'd probably be fighting with Eren right now. "That's great," Armin smiled and walked over to us. I could hear him whisper to Marco, "I told you it would work out." Marco's face turned instantly red.

I smiled and draped my arm over his shoulder, we've already been made public as a couple, so why not act like it. I just made Marco more embarrassed. Everyone started laughing and talking normally, like they had all expected this to happen. Maybe I really was the only one who didn't notice. We all started to walk away from school, Eren, Armin and Mikasa were going out somewhere and Connie and Sasha were walking to the buses. As we all were walking, I whispered in Marco's ear, "You want to come over to my place?"

Even Marco's ears were red but he still nodded. I smiled and pecked him on the cheek before saying goodbye to the others. I had a car, so we didn't have to wait for the buses. We walked to my car, hand in hand. When we reached it, I leaned him back the side of it, pinning him up against it with my hands on the car on both sides of him. I could tell he was a little nervous. I looked directly into his eyes, "Promise that no matter where we go or what happens, we will always be together."

"Promise," Marco smiled. I leaned in and kissed him again. He rested one hand on the back of my head and wrapped his other hand around my shoulders. I ran my tongue along his lower lip and he readily parted his lips, letting me slip my tongue in. As I kissed him more hungrily, I knew that I would do what ever it takes to hold onto him. He is far too important to me for me to just let him leave my life. I wrapped my arms around him, squeezing him tightly. I broke the kiss, whispering, "You're mine now and I'm never letting you go. I love you too much Marco."

"I love you too Jean."