I Want the World

"Well, I should get going. I promised to meet my family at the hotel and they'll probably think I'm dead if I don't show up." He laughed nervously, I don't blame him. This whole situation has been awkward, that and the joke was an odd one to make, that's for sure. 

"Right...well... Come back at any time." 

He smiled, "Trust me, I'll be back everyday-"

What? Why? Why would you want to come back everyday? There's no reason to...unless...

"I've traveled enough to know that hotel coffee is basically dirty water." 

He got up and grabbed his shoes. He looked at the shoes in his hands and back to me. 

"So I'll see you tomorrow."

"Right, tomorrow." 

He gave a small nod and headed out the door without putting his shoes on. Well that's weird, but I could come up with a million reasons why he didn't. He didn't want to sit down and get back up, his laces are tight and for the distance he was going it just wasn't worth it, or maybe... he didn't want to act a fool in front of me? 

That last reason is absolutely outrageous. 

"Rehpic? Hello~ anyone home?"

I came back from my imaginary scenarios and began to deal with reality. 

"Grenda, sorry, busy morning." I laughed and tried to play it off 

Candy giggled, "Oh yes. Very busy." 

"We've come to try your latest experiment!" Grenda shouts at me

Not so loud, it distracts my thought process. 

I have to come up with something, even if I have to make something up on the fly. Every day they come in willing to drink whatever monstrous liquid I pour in a cup. Usually that's something I think about before the morning rush, or even while I'm setting up. But as you could see today was a little different. 

"Oh don't worry, I have something extra special for you guys."

The girls giggled again and sat down at the piano. That's one thing I always enjoyed, hearing the piano. Candy was my favorite pianist, her music was always soft and light, she never hit the keys too hard. Grenda didn't know how to play the piano and she sure didn't sing. But she would always sit on the bench with Candy regardless of her abilities. 

Their relationship is one I always look forward to witnessing. They're as close as close can be, yet neither of them is ready to make a move, nor do I think one of them will ever make a move. They each want to act like they're interested in me, the "mysterious stranger who has found success and brought life to an almost forgotten town." I know neither of them are. They can "flirt" with me and pretend to be interested in what I have to say all they want, but I know the truth. 

While thinking about their bond I couldn't help but think of my own... I have tons of customers, regulars, and even favorites. But I struggle to think of a time where I've closed the shop for the day to "hang out" or when I've done anything with anyone for that matter. Maybe they're right, maybe I am just the mysterious stranger. 

I push aside my selfish thoughts and think about what to make them. Today has just been so out of the ordinary that my mind feels overwhelmed, hyperfixated, if you will. I think back to just a moment earlier and Mason's mention of him never having more than regular coffee. I smile to myself, almost chuckle. Caffeine addicted, sleep deprived, writer, who enjoys chocolate muffins.