My Brother

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~❶~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

When I wake up, I'm lying on a soft bed with a blanket over me. I don't know how long I've been there. I look up to see Captain America and Hawkeye standing over me in normal clothes. "What's your name?" Captain America asks. I stare at him and stay quiet. "Please? We can return you to your family. They probably miss you."

"My family isn't missing me. They're dead. My new family is made of those you took me from. If you wanted to return me you wouldn't have taken me," I snarl.

"Please, tell us your name," Hawkeye asks. I spit in his face and freeze both of their feet to the ground. I take Hawkeye's phone and send a text to Bucky's tracker. They get free and chase after me as I run outside. When I leave, the sun burns my eyes and I close them as I run off. I have no idea where I'm going. Before I get to far, Captain America wrap his arms around my stomach, pinning my arms to my sides. He carries me back and set me on the couch. He and the other Avengers surround me.

"Let's try this again. What is your name and why are you associated with Hydra?"

"Hydra saved my life!" I shout. I try to push past the Captain but he blocks me.

"Why would Hydra save you?"

"How should I know? I've worked with them ever since. Why do you care?"

"They are the bad guys," Captain America puts simply. "They were a Nazi deep science division back in World War Two that I was assigned to take down."

I stare at him shocked. "No. Hydra helped me. Aren't they part of the U.S.?"

"Exact opposite. Now will you please tell us your name?" Hawkeye asks. He looks bored. "And who you texted on my phone."

"Annabelle. My name is Annabelle. I texted a friend of mine who is ex-Hydra to come and get me." Captain America starts to stare at me, confused.

"Someone is coming here?" Hawkeye asks.

"Yes. Why is that a problem?"

Before Hawkeye can speak, Captain America cuts him out. "Annabelle Rogers?" he asks.

"Yeah. Annabelle Rogers. It doesn't matter. You all should be worried about whose coming."

"The Winter Soldier," The Captain realizes. "How did you find him?"

"She didn't." We all turn to see Bucky standing there with a mask on. "I find her."

I start to walk closer to him and look him over. "Is that you?"

"Yeah, it's me." He takes off his mask and comes closer. "Don't you recognize my voice by now?"

Hawkeye pulls out his arrows and Bucky points his gun at him. "How did you find this place?"

"I tracked your phone. If you want this place to be secret, then you may want to turn it off," Bucky smirks. "Don't worry. I'm not here to fight. I'm here to pick up the girl."

I walk over to him and give him a light punch. "I'm not an object," I object. "Anyway, apparently almost everything Hydra said was a lie."

"I could have told you that. How did you find me without hitting anything and why do you want to leave?"

"One; I can see now, two; I need to find my friends. They're in danger and these people kidnapped me."

Bucky looks at Captain America then back at me. "You don't know?"

"Don't know what?" I ask. I look around and everyone is staring at us. I lead Bucky outside and away from the door.

"What do you know about your brother?" Bucky asks.

Tears start to come to my eyes. "That he died in the war. That's what I heard about you, too. I figured they just didn't realize you were Bucky. Anyway, I was given a letter and his dog tags. He was a hero. Went down saving hundreds of lives."

"You got it kind of right. He crashed a plane carrying bombs close to the artic. He was frozen and found back in 2012. Before that, he was an experiment. He was the first super soldier and the last. He was given the name-,"

"Captain America," I cut him off. "He's my brother?"

"Yeah. And I can prove it. Still have that letter?"

I take the stack out of my purse. "I never leave them anywhere. I've had them all since they were sent. I can even read through them now!"

"Then follow me." Bucky leads me inside where everyone sits. Stark is trying to comfort the Captain as he looks confused. "Hey Steve." He looks towards us with a jolt. "You need to prove it to her."

"Why? She can't be my sister. My sister is blind," the Captain argues.

Bucky looks at me. "I can explain that one. I had a procedure a few weeks ago. It gave me my sight. I was blind since I was born. That's why I couldn't have my eyes open outside. It hurt. I'm not used to that bright a light before."

"How do I know you aren't lying?" he asks.

"Why should I prove anything to him?!" I shout. "I have to go help my friends." I point at Stark. "I can't stand being around that murderer anymore!" I storm out and create an ice board, surfing my way to South Korea and destroying the ice behind me.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~❸~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bucky sighs and turns to everyone else, his expression cold and trained on Steve. "I've been searching for you for months. Why were you hiding?" Steve asks.

Bucky sighs. "I couldn't face you. Not knowing Annabelle was out there."

"Why are you so insistent that she is Annabelle? She is just an imposter."

Bucky grabs Steve's arm and leads him to the barn. "I trained her! That's how I know. She was still blind when I trained her and when I went back to get her. When did you get so hard-headed? That girl is Annabelle. Your sister. She has every letter you sent her. She has the picture she always carried! She even has your dog tags! I saw them when training her. They have those scratches on the back with her initials!"

Steve stares at Bucky. He sits down hard on the hay and puts his head in his hands. "Oh gosh, what have I done?!" Bucky sits next to him and rubs his back. "How could I not see it? And now I may never see her again. I've been trying to find both of you since S.H.I.E.L.D. went down."

"She could see. That's what made her different. When we grew up, there was no way to be able to see if you were blind but now, there's a way to get your sight back," Bucky says.

Bucky stands up and heads towards the door but Steve stops him. "Please, don't leave again. I miss my best friend."

Bucky turns to Steve and gives him ahug. After pulling back, he looks him right in the eye. "I have to go for now.I'll meet you back in New York. Ask Annabelle how to find me when you make up withher. She has a code that only she knows and will send me a message and herlocation. See you later." Bucky runs out before Steve can say anything.