Two

It was the same thing the next day.

Get up, get dressed, eat breakfast, catch the bus, go to school. Exactly the same as it had been every single day for the past ten or so years. How long had I been going to school for again? Who knows. It's too early for this.

Except today was different.

Very different.

I was on time, for one thing. I sat on the bus, watching the world pass outside the window and sighing softly. I hadn't slept too well the night before, so the flash of red in my peripheral vision wasn't enough to get my attention at first.

However when I got to school and saw it again, I was confused. There's nothing red around here. Ever. It's just not natural. So obviously the small red movement stuck to my mind, lodging in until it was all I could think about.

I walked along the usual path to the school and bit my lip hard, watching out for the colour again. I was going to be late to class, but I didn't really care. I needed to find out where it was coming from. I turned left quickly before I walked into the school and walked past a few bushes. I was on high alert, so the second I heard a shuffle, I was looking over and into them. That was when my eyes landed on a boy's face.

He was short and slim, but no younger than myself. I opened my mouth to say something but he beat me to it.

"Go to class. Don't tell anyone that you saw me." He said quietly. I don't know what it was about his voice, but I wanted to hear it again. Before I could even take a breath let alone respond, the bell rang and I knew I had to leave or else explain why I was late.

So I did what he said. I went to class. And didn't tell anyone. Not even Alex.

I got lost on my way to class, which made me late anyway. I knew my way around the school like I knew the back of my hand so I don't know why it was suddenly so difficult to focus on something so easy. Oh wait, I do. I got a glare from the teacher sitting at the front desk as I stumbled into the classroom. I was late, but not late enough to actually get in trouble. Of course we had English first, the only class where my teacher hated me. She was in her late thirties and was definitely one of those teachers to have favourites. That was fine by me, as long as I was one of them. The woman's name was Miss Cliff and she had light brown hair always pulled back into a ponytail that didn't suit her face shape. She always picked on me in class, but especially today when I was not able to pay attention. It was just the icing on the cake. "Mister Hoying! Please pay attention, how many times do I have to ask you?" I looked up as she snapped at me again. She was right, and there was no way I could get around that.

"Sorry Miss. Won't happen again." I mumbled. I didn't even need to look at Alex to know that he was giving me a 'what's gotten into you' kind of look. I didn't want to deal with that right now.

I couldn't get that one particular boy out of my head.

His smile, his eyes, his... Redness. I'd never seen anyone who wasn't blue until now, at least not in the flesh and not that close. My mind kept wandering toward the way his eyes practically glowed and then to how he got into blue. More importantly, how he hadn't been caught. It's not like he was blending in or anything.

I had to distract myself. So I actually did the class work. I usually attempted it but often ended up getting lost in listening to the conversations around the classroom, however today I managed to do it all. The bell rang for the next class and I packed up my things, starting to walk through the school towards the classroom.

"Hey, Scott?" I heard my best friend and felt Alex place his hand on my shoulder gently as I walked out of the room and I smiled at him, turning to walk toward art class. We had the same classes, and though I really didn't enjoy art, Alex did. He taught me and made it worth it. Also, it was one of those subjects where the teacher would help each student a ridiculous amount just in order to maintain the overall GPA.