"I do not think Professor Lawes is all that bad," said Bessie slowly, in a very odd tone of voice.

"Not all that bad!" spluttered Catherine indignantly. Between his rudeness during the first dinner at Wyndham Hall and engaging two ladies to dance at once, Catherine felt very strongly that he was in fact the very worst kind of man! She comforted herself by deciding that Bessie's opinion was not to be counted on too much where matters of society were concerned, for the poor dear's only experience of it was from novels, in which things were often over-exaggerated.

"From what you have said, Catherine, it is clear that Professor Lawes lacks manners," Bessie continued now. "However, I do not think he would have meant to hurt your feelings. It is likely he just feels rather uncomfortable in society, and this shyness probably causes him to behave rather strangely. After all, I imagine academic society is extremely different to society in the country."

"That is precisely what Professor Lawes told me in the letter he wrote," admitted Catherine. Not for the first time, she found herself marvelling at her younger sister's maturity. For one so young, Catherine had never seen Bessie's equal for understanding people and getting the measure of them. Sometimes Catherine found herself forgetting that Bessie was only thirteen, for she often spoke with wisdom beyond her years.

"Professor Lawes wrote to you?" asked Bessie excitedly now. "When was this?"

Catherine smiled to herself, the excited twinkle in Bessie's eyes a reminder that her sister was in fact a child still, even if she did sometimes speak like a wise old woman.

"It was just after I had returned to Donbroke," replied Catherine, wishing she could change the subject but knowing full well that Bessie would want to hear more.

"I see," said Bessie simply, in an infuriatingly superior tone, causing Catherine to colour.

"It was not a romantic sort of letter," explained Catherine hurriedly. "He merely wrote to apologise for his abhorrent behaviour on my last day in Barnbury..."

And so Catherine launched into the final part of her Somerset story, taking care to fully elaborate on the demeaning way the professor had treated her, talking at length about the severe discomfort she had been subjected to on the walk back to Broxcliffe Park. Once she had come to the end of her tale Catherine sat back with satisfaction, feeling certain that there was no conceivable way now that Bessie could believe the professor to be a good man.

"He did not behave in a proper way," said Bessie, brow furrowed. Catherine nodded triumphantly at this, believing the matter of the professor's bad character now quite decided – but Bessie had more to say.

"I still do not think he would have meant to cause offence to you," she continued. "If he had, then why would he write to apologise?"

Catherine opened her mouth to protest, but Bessie went on before she could say anything.

"My guess is that he was not aware of the impropriety of his actions at the time. He has not often been in the company of young ladies, probably not for many years – I am sure he simply forgot the need for a chaperone. He would not have meant to cause offense, Catherine – for I believe he likes you a great deal."

This last statement was so completely ludicrous that Catherine burst out laughing, before stopping abruptly at the hurt look on Bessie's face.

"Come now, Bessie," scoffed Catherine, trying to keep her face straight. "You cannot be serious. If Professor Lawes does feel any sort of affection for me – heaven forbid! – then he has a very peculiar way of showing it."