Chapter 7 - Employee of the month (FINAL EDIT)

The next couple of days were a blur of business meetings. Important clients. Major projects. Sales meetings. Policy stuff with upper management.

I was hopelessly distracted throughout it all – the upcoming cabin weekend with Abbie was constantly intruding – but managed to get through them on pure reflex. I don't think anyone, except possibly Bella, realized I was in a different place altogether, fucking Abbie in every possible way.

I bumped into Bella as I was leaving the office Wednesday afternoon. We had been in several meetings together earlier in the day, but this was the first time she had me alone since the cabin proposal.

"Haven't you invited her yet?" she asked me without further ado.

I just blinked and gave her a blank stare. I had barely seen Abbie, much less talked to her. Actually, I had been avoiding her as much as possible without being too obvious about it.

"Why not?" Bella said she said in a low, insistent voice. She stepped closer to me. Too close. I caught her scent and felt myself begin to harden.

"I... I thought you had invited her," I said defensively.

"Me? Why would it be my job to invite the object of your desire?"

"I just assumed..."

"You just assumed that I'd abuse my position as her boss to force Abbie into bed with you – since you obviously can't manage it on your own?"

"That's not what I meant," I tried.

"I don't care what you mean, Felix – it's the bloody truth, and you know it. Now man up and invite her."

"I will," I replied, voice sullen, like a little boy being told to tidy his room.

"Sure, Felix, sure you will." The tone of her voice told a different story. "In case you don't have the balls – bring another of your sluts instead. I'd really prefer Abbie, but I'll be happy as long as you bring along an escort. One that's suitable for a foursome weekend. Clear?"

"Perfectly," I replied and watched Bella walk away. She looked magnificent from behind, in her heels and pencil skirt. Few women better, I thought.

I contemplated calling Abbie right away. I pulled out my phone and fooled around with it, but couldn't bring myself to make the call. I determined to wait until I had regained my composure before talking to her. Maybe invite her out for a mid-week drink or something. Then casually ask if she'd like to come to the cabin. No sexual undertones, just pure feigned platonic friendship. And a good career move on her part.

I sighed.

Abbie wasn't stupid. She was a damn intelligent woman. She'd understand – and say no. Our friendship would take a severe blow. Bad enough to kill it, maybe. I couldn't, wouldn't risk that.

But what else could I do?

Invite one of your other sluts, Bella had suggested.

I thought about it for a while. No one could measure up to Abbie, that much was sure. But the more I thought about it, the more appealing the idea seemed.

I didn't want to ruin my friendship with Abbie. Yet I had to bring someone to the cabin.

Then only logical alternative was to call up someone who would be willing to play along with whatever Bella had planned. A few candidates immediately sprang to mind. I decided to make a few calls that very evening. Chop, chop. No time to waste.