Chapter 12 - Mirror, mirror on the wall (FINAL EDIT)

She looked out the living room window of her third-floor apartment. It was snowing outside. The softly falling snowflakes caught the lights of the city and lit up the town in soft, white light. Abbie had always marveled at that – how could clouds and falling snow make the night less dark?

After ten rings, she got the voicemail. Again. She briefly considered not leaving a message, but she wasn't that kind of person. Why call someone and not leave a message? If you had time to call, you had time to tell them why you called – and whether or not it was important to you called back.

"Hi Felix, it's Abbie. Again. I tried to reach you earlier, but you didn't reply. Again. And you didn't call me back. Again. Bella was talking about you and me doing some sort of project. Together. Wanted to ask you about it. Anyway. If you get this: don't bother calling me back. I'm not feeling too well, so I'm going back to bed now. Talk to you tomorrow."

She looked at the display. Half-past eleven. She had been sleeping most of the day. Her belly rumbled again, but it felt more like hunger than yet another trip to the bathroom. So her body was hungry – too bad she had no appetite.

Abbie looked at her reflection in the window. A short, skinny girl looked back at her, dressed in stay-at-home white panties and a tank top with lace trimming and lacy straps. Her blonde hair was a mess, a disheveled braid hanging down over one shoulder. Her tits pushed against the fabric of her top, but she was otherwise woefully lacking in the curves department. She looked tired, sad even.

Abbie pressed her phone against her forehead before tossing it away – it landed on the carpet and disappeared under the sofa. "You're a sorry excuse for a woman, sister," she said to the reflection. It made no reply, just stood there, looking forlorn.

Felix was always complimenting her on her looks, calling her this or that – sexy, hot, lovely, to die for, beautiful, she had the body of his dreams, yadda, yadda, yadda. Right. He probably said that to all his little sluts. She poked her tongue at her reflection. Predictably, it poked its tongue right back at her.

Despite Felix's attempts at cheering her up, Abbie knew she wasn't beautiful. She wasn't ugly. She knew that. Actually, she was kind of pretty. That was a fair assessment. Pretty, but not beautiful.

She turned around slowly, taking in her body, weighing the pros and the cons.

She was slim by nature. Despite what people might think, she wasn't too careful about what she ate, and she didn't work out constantly. Lots of women wanted to be slim, so that was a plus. That she was thin and could eat pretty much what she wanted to was an even bigger plus, but did nothing for her appearance.

So slim was nice, but the flip side was that nature hadn't left her with a lot of curves. Her tits were nice, not exactly large, but they looked quite full on her tiny body. Her cleavage was second to none. But they were a hassle when working out. And in ten years, they were probably going to be sagging, all the way down to her belly-button. Getting them fixed was out of the question. She'd have to rely on expensive lingerie to compensate. She wondered if Bella had fixed hers. They looked perfectly natural. Just too good for a woman her age. But then again, Bella was perfect, so she wouldn't be surprised if they were a hundred percent natural.

Tits, nice, but... Abbie sighed as she turned around to look at her ass, least favorite of all her body parts. It really was a sorry excuse for an ass. There was just a hint of hip and some smooth curves – if you had a microscope – but for all intents and purposes, she might as well have been a boy. She'd tried exercise, but all they did was make her ass firmer, not bigger. Bella had the perfect hips and ass – shapely, fit, and feminine. Abbie could have killed to have curves like that.

Legs were good, though. Long – relatively speaking. Firm and slender. With some heels on, Abbie could actually feel kind of sexy walking down the street. They made her tall – and as long as she kept moving, it actually looked like she had some hips. Legs. Probably the only thing about her body that compared favorably to Bella. Bella was already tall – in her heels, she was a giant. Guys liked tall, sexy girls, but they didn't like them too high. Made them feel inferior.

Abbie smiled at her reflection. She had some other good features as well. She liked her face. It was cute – and she looked kind. Like a good person. Eyes were a little touch and go – sort of a blend of all colors, mixed with golden flecks, but they were bright and awake and had a nice shape.

Hair was undecided. It was somewhere between a dull brown and a dark blonde. In summer, it was quite pretty – it quickly got natural highlights and had a natural, slightly messy, bohemian look. But in winter, it was just dull and flat, and impossible to work with. Like now. She had gone to a new hairdresser – bad plan, never trust a straight man to fix your hair – and he'd taken too much color out. Now it was too light and completely unruly. It was hopeless. With practiced movements, she quickly rebraided it. There. Problem solved.

Overall there seemed to be a lot more cons than pros. Which probably explained why boys weren't exactly dying to date her. That, and the fact she was always either working – or writing. If – when – the book got published, she would make a point of getting a social life. It had been too long.

Abbie went to the kitchen to get some juice. She tossed some ice cubes into the glass. She took a few sips. Nothing happened. She drank a little more. Still no adverse effects. Good, the stomach had calmed down a bit. But she still had a headache and was dead tired. No way she would make it to work tomorrow. But maybe on Friday. If she called Bella on the morrow, told her she would be back by Friday, she might reconsider that project with Felix. Sure she would!

Abbie felt her mood improve considerably, followed by a wave of nausea. She headed for the bathroom. This was going to be a long night.