chapter ten

We lay there in silence, my head on his chest and his arm around me. Seconds, then minutes pass and neither of us say a word.

"Thank you," I say. Newt stays silent for a moment, then asks, "for what?"

"For saving me from Gally." I shiver, remembering the horrible event.

"You aren't mad at me?" He asks.

I pause, confused. "Why would I be mad at you?"

"Because I followed you guys into the woods after you told me not to do that anymore."

"Oh." I guess I should be mad at him, but I never really was in the first place. Him following me was more of a nuisance than a serious issue. "I wasn't ever mad. I never should have yelled at you, I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry, I'm sorry. There are better ways to solve a problem than by creating an entire new one."

"What problem?"

I can hear his heartbeat quicken.

"Me liking you and not knowing what to do about it."

"You like me?" I ask, shocked. My heart speeds up, matching his.

"Of course I do."

"I like you too."

We both shift on our sides so we're facing each other. Newt smiles and I smile back. For awhile we just stare at each other, but then my eyelids start to get heavy. When Newt sees how exhausted I am, he pulls me back into his chest and we drift off to sleep.