Magic

(Jess’s POV)

Once again, nothing happened. I threw my arms up in defeat. “I just can’t do it!” I said in an aggravated puff. I kicked the bucket of water and it shot away, skidding across the room.

“That is because you aren’t putting your full being into it. Your powers are useless if you do not truly believe it. Now, try again, but this time let the power run through you. Be your powers. But do not let it consume you.” Loki placed the now empty bucket on the pedestal and refilled it with water using his magic. “Begin.”

I closed my eyes and let out a slow breath. I raised my right hand and let my powers be in control, but not fully.  I started to feel something. Something tingling deep inside of me and I knew it was coming. I loved it. I could hear the water starting to move so I opened my eyes.

“Beautiful grace. I knew you could do it.” Loki said in an admiring tone.

But I wanted more. I let the powers grow more inside of me. I relished in the feeling. A smile appeared on my face involuntarily. The water grew and formed into a giant snake of water. It started to thrash about. Wait I wasn’t doing that.

“Okay, Jess, that is enough. Let go.” The snake grew larger and was harder to control. I panicked yelp left my lips. “Jess! Let go!”

I forced the magic back inside of me and stumbled back when the force of the water hit the ground. “Oh my gosh I thought I wouldn’t be able to stop it.” I felt light headed.

“That is because you are new at this. It takes time to be able to learn how to control the powers. Especially you since you have so much of it.” Loki meandered over to me and hugged me from behind. “Channel your energy from your surroundings if it is making you light headed or sick.”

I just shook my head. “So now I know how to make water into snakes. Woopty Doo. When can I learn cool stuff?” I whined.

A mischievous look came across his face. “Oh you mean like this?” Without even taking his eyes off of me I saw we were starting to lift off the ground. “Our this?” Never taking his eyes off me he lifted the water into the air and made it spin around us so it looked as if we were inside of a whirlpool. The water then turned into a beautiful green color and had small hints of sparkles to it. When I looked up I saw the rainbow sky from Loki’s secret place again even though it’s early in the morning.

My eyes lit up with glee and I laughed. “This is amazing!” The water then turned into thousands of small birds and flew around us until they flew out of the room into the rainbow sky. I didn’t know we were slowly going to the ground till I felt my feet hit the ground. “How did you learn to do that?” I looked at Loki in awe.

“I had a lot of free time on my hands. I also would rather study up on this than train with Thor. There was no point really since he was obviously going to be king all along.”

“Well, maybe you were meant for something bigger than that.” I told him smiling.

A sad look came across his face. He mumbled something along the lines of ‘If only you knew’ but I just shrugged it off. Then a thought came across my mind. In Asgardian time a week meant  a few days less than a month on Earth. I don’t know how or why but Loki told me this one day. I’ve been here for about a Midgardian week. That meant I have to decide if I am going to marry Loki or not in…. about 20 days. That’s only almost three weeks.

“Is there something wrong, dear?” Loki asked me with concern in his voice.

I looked at him and plastered a fake smile on my face. “Nothing, it’s nothing.” Could I marry him? Did I love him enough to do that? I want to save him from Odin banishing him again, I really do, but is it worth it?