#2 Expedition

I'm really sorry this chapter is so short.

(Cat picture is Silverkit)

Silverkit trailed behind, looking tired, as Adderkit led us to the medicine cats’ den. My ears pricked with interest. Bitter sweet scents wreathed around this den, and there were a few voices coming from inside. “This is the medicine cats’ den…” Adderkit mewed uncertainly. “It sounds like Vinetail and Fernpaw are inside. I bet Cloudflower is out collecting herbs.”

“Can I go back to the nursery?” Silverkit wailed. “I’m so tired!”

Adderkit glanced from me to Silverkit. “Uhm, okay… I’ll bring you back. Juniperkit, if you want to, you can go inside and say hello. I’ll be right back.” He and Silverkit scuttled away to the nursery. Nervously, I sniffed at the entrance to the den. I wiggled in, tumbling into a big cave carved out of the rock wall that surrounded one side of the camp. It was nearly as big as the warriors den, but it had different tunnels leading off into the stone. A dusty brown tom with a long tail and a small gray she-cat crouched over a pile of tiny clusters of purple flowers.

“Fernpaw, what’s this?” the tom mewed patiently.

“Uhm, is it… alfalfa?” she mewed uncertainly.

Vinetail flicked his tail. “Very good. What is it for?”

Fernpaw’s blue eyes brightened. “It prevents and relieves tooth decay!”

Vinetail purred. “Perfect. Now take that to Tangleweed, he told me his tooth was hurting.” Nodding, Fernpaw scooped up the little green shoots and turned toward me, padding toward the entrance of the den. Once she saw me, she dropped the herb.

“Hello Juniperkit! Vinetail, come here!” she shouted over her shoulder.

Vinetail scrambled to his paws and padded over to us. “What is it, Fernpaw?”

“Look, its Juniperkit, come to visit us.” She informed him.

He looked at me and purred. “Hello again, Juniperkit.” I wondered why he seemed so familiar. “I was there when you were born.” He told me, noticing my confused expression. “Now, why are you here? Fernpaw, off you go.” Fernpaw nodded again, grabbed the herbs, and slipped around me.

“I… I came to see what the medicine cats’ den is like.” I mumbled quietly.

Vinetail purred loudly. “Why don’t I show y-“ he cut off abruptly as Adderkit came charging through the den entrance. “Hello Adderkit.” Vinetail mewed patiently. “Come to see the medicine cats’ den, as well? Where is Silverkit?”

Adderkit swallowed, catching his breath. “Silverkit got tired so I took her back to the nursery.”

“I see.” Vinetail said. “Would you like a tour of the medicine cats’ den, little ones?”

 I nodded vigorously. I liked Vinetail.

“Come on, then. I’ll show you where we medicine cats sleep, and where we keep our patients.” He turned and led us down one of the tunnels to a room with a few scoops in the ground full of bracken and moss. “Here,” Vinetail told them gently, “is where we sleep. We, as in, Cloudflower, Fernpaw, and myself.”

I noticed a few empty dips, where other medicine cats have slept, and will sleep. Vinetail turned and padded off, and I scrambled after him. I stumbled, tired, but I was interested in the medicine cats’ den, and didn’t want to leave yet. Vinetail purred and licked my head. “You’re exhausted. Go back to the nursery and sleep.”

“But-“ I started.

“Hush, little one. Don’t worry; the medicine cats’ den isn’t going anywhere. Come back again tomorrow.” Vinetail said gently, nudging me toward the den entrance. I stifled a yawn. Even Adderkit was looking a bit tired.

“Come on, Juniperkit.” Adderkit said quietly between yawns. I stumbled over to Adderkit, flicking my tail in farewell to Vinetail.

I slept soundly for the rest of the day, only waking briefly to eat. I blinked my eyes open, hearing Silverkit and Adderkit scuffling nearby. “No!” Silverkit squealed and went silent. I peered over my mother’s flank to see Adderkit and Silverkit in a mock fight. Adderkit had Silverkit pinned in Roseclaw’s mossy nest. He had just pretended to bite her throat, and she lay on the ground, trying to stay limp. She sneezed as the moss tickled her nose. Adderkit mrrowed in laughter and rolled off Silverkit, his paws flailing in the air.