"Why the hell are you sitting here, Weasley?" Scorpius raised an eyebrow, a deep frown on his face.

Rose cocked her head to the side, confused. "Why shouldn't a sit here?"

He scowled. "Well, there's always the fact that I'm a Slytherin and you're a Gryffindor. Next, I'm a pureblood while you're a half-breed. Our parents hate one another. Oh, and let's not forget the fact that you hate me. That's always a good one."

All the anger she had felt at the half-breed comment turned to confusion at the last reason. "Huh? I don't hate you."

"What?" Now it was Scorpius's turn to be confused. "But I heard your friends saying how you must hate me to work so hard to beat me. Plus, you always send me a gloating smile whenever you beat me to a answer in class or make a higher score…" He looked at the ground, flushing a little. "…As if I need it rubbed in." Scorpius grumbled the last part.

Rose blushed at the idea of being so self-involved. The poor boy couldn't help it if he wasn't as smart as her. "I'm sorry if I gave you that impression." Biting her bottom lip, the girl fiddled with her hands. "I don't hate you at all, in fact I think of you as a rival." She blushed even redder at the confession.

Scorpius raised his eyebrow at the odd girl. "Is that suppose to be better or something?"

The girl nodded. "Oh, yes. You're the first person my age to give me a run for my money. I've never had to work to beat someone." She looked down shyly at her book and whispered. "I like it."

Looking at the red-faced girl Scorpius couldn't help himself, he laughed. He had really thought she hated him.

"You sure are amusing, half-breed." He said between gasps for air.

Instead of being affronted by the name, Rose grinned at him and took in the sound of his laughter. It was the first time she had heard it.

"Alright. I accept." Scorpius gave her a mischievous grin that made her heart beat faster. "As of now, I'm officially your rival." He extended his hand to seal the deal.

Rose smiled, placing her hand in his, and shaking it. "Glad to hear it."

He smirked. "But I should warn you, I hate to come in second."

Rising to the challenge in his voice, she smirked. "So do it."

"I do believe this is the start of a beautiful rivalry, Wesley."

III.

"Oi, half-blood!"

Rose scowled at the boy running up to her. "How many times have I told you to stop calling me that?"

"About as many times as I've called you it." He smirked cheekily up at her.

"Oh, that many." She rolled her eyes. "What did you need anyway?"

"Just didn't want you to forget the Potions final we have on Wednesday, wouldn't want you to lose again or anything." Scorpius snickered.

Rose blushed, anger and embarrassment filling her stomach. "That was just one time. And I was sick!"

"Whatever you need to tell yourself at night." He winked at her. He hadn't let her live it down for a moment since their grades had come back.

She was at the end of her rope. "Oh…oh, go drink a growing potion, you prat!" She stammered, embarrassed at her first loss.

At the mention of his shorter height, Scorpius flushed at the tips of his ears and glared up at her, his teasing attitude all gone. "Stupid half-breed bitch."