Chapter 2 - Broken Out

Chase's P.O.V.

Douglas never told us that we were unrelated. All this time, mistaken for 17 years. Funny how he thought the matter was ordinary. Adam is fine, our brotherly-pranking-each-other relationship hardly changes.

The problem is Bree.
I can hardly imagine what would really happen. That is the problem. Bree and I never treat each other in that brother-and-sister way. It seems ordinary to others, with the pranks and mocks stuff. But deep down only us two know that there is much more than that. I don't really know how it happens. But every time her elbow hits me, or that how close we are sitting on the sofa watching TV, or seeing her in her prom dress - there is a vague kind of happiness stirring inside me. My heart would pump a little faster, my stomach feeling a little light, and my smile a little wider. I simply like being around her, even enjoying her mock sometimes. On the other hand, it seems we have a tacit agreement - acting as nothing in front of the others.

But I thought that was ordinary, that the feeling has nothing to do with love. Even I used to find myself jealous when she fell for others. I cannot tell where the anger came from. Sebastian, Oliver, Troy, Owen, Ethan, wouldn't be the first time. Now with the line of siblings removed, even the smartest person in the world can hardly define what was lying between the two.

I have to stop thinking. I am disgusted. She is my sister, no matter what.

I sigh and change my attention to the messy wires on the table. I sit down as I start working on my project again. Adam pops in the room a while later. "Coming up for lunch Piper?" "Again, not your piper. And haven't we just finished breakfast?" "Well it's two anyway," he frowns and boosts off.

"Wait!" I call out but he's gone too far. I take off my safety goggles and put down the electric wires. I rub my temples and leave the living quarters. There is a reason behind his frown. I have been working overtime too much, unwittingly give myself and both my family too much stress.

I walk along the hallway, notice Bree wandering. She holds a lost look in the eyes, not watching the way. My chest is hit by her elbow when she passes by. She looks up and is surprised finding my face. She freezes. We stared at each other, right into the eyes. I swear, I almost find sparkles in hers.

"Sorry." Bree whispers and looks away. I react with awkward silence. It was never like that. This tough and insane lady is never that shy. Just as I clear my throat to speak, she turns away. Not knowing where the nervousness comes, I seize her arm and bring her back against my chest. I cannot quite figure out why my impulse led me to do that. Bree shuts her eyes and weakly raise her hands, slowly pushing me away. She recoils and super speeds, soon disappears at the end of the hallway.

The first time ever, I find that the complexity of the matter is harder than I imagined.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bree's P.O.V.

I shut myself in the bathroom.

why did I get nervous?

I close my eyes.

I do not like Chase.

I shake my head hard and splashes the water on my face. I look at myself in the mirror, have I been hiding this all the time? The feelings breaks out because they eventually know they can exist. Heart beating fast, it is not the first time - just that I cannot cover it with the siblings lie again.

I needed to talk to someone, real quick.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I take out my phone and call Kim, Kim Crawford. She is an exchanger back in Mission Creek's high and we are the best of friends. She's training in a dojo in Seaford. I feel like she can give me advice that no one else can.

"Hey Bree?"

I do not want Kim to know I only call her for relationship problem. So I go on talking about her school, life in her dojo and my missions stuff, and finally bring up to the topic.

"You do have a boyfriend do you?" I ask, hoping it wouldn't sound too weird.

"Yeah why?"

"I have a problem," I take a deep breath and continue. "There's this boy I have known for many years. We were best friends but I think I have been developing feelings for him... I don't know he- and I think I will- but he never-" I stutter.

"I understand." Kim say calmly. "That's basically my story."

"I and my boyfriend, have used to be best friends for many years. Somehow our relationship becomes ambiguous. But we never admit our feelings. Neither of us want to start first by break the wall. And there was this twist and our dojo was lost. We promised we would stay together but eventually we went different directions. We did not contact each other for three months."

I cannot deny the fact that her story actually moves me. "That was the time when you realize you cannot live without him."

"Right, I could not believe it actually hurts. That was a needle that embed every moment of pain when he was not with me, and I thought he never would be." Kim pauses, it seems the flashback does bring back a lot.

"But we regained our dojo. The first thing I did was admitting my feelings to him, well indirectly. Able to be with him again kinds of held me back, but I did anyway. He asked me out. And then... it sorta started." She finished with a light sigh.

"So you mean-"

"Time, I guess you need this satisfy the new feeling towards each other. You will identify the status of him to you. Time will do."

"Thanks Kim." "No problem."

I hang up the phone, repeating her words to myself,

time will do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note:
Do you like the way they're dealing with their feelings? One of them is solving it and the other one is trying to ignore it. I don't want to rush the story and I have got some really intense ideas for the climax so be ready:)
Davenport is returning next chapter!