NINETEEN

Chapter Nineteen:

A week later, it was New Year. This time, they were all at Gary's place, which was a nice change for all of them, especially Mark, who, ever since they had got back from Gran Canaria months ago, hadn't really left the house much, apart from when he decided to go and have a walk in the park.

The thing that annoyed him though on the way to Gary's was that Mark wasn't able to drive everyone there. He had always loved driving down the roads to Gary's house, but now he had to sit back and let someone else – namely Emma – drive for him. The only reason he couldn't drive was because the hospital had deemed him unfit to in his condition. He could understand why though, he had been getting tired more frequently now and if he happened to fall asleep at the wheel, he would be risking everyone's lives. But just because he understood the reasoning, didn't mean he was happy about it.

Once they were finally at Gary's, Mark knocked on the door and not a moment later, the door was opened revealing Gary's smiling face standing in the doorway.

"Hi guys, come in." He said letting his friends through the door into the house. They then made their way into the living room. Howard and Jason were already sitting in the living room, waiting for them to arrive. Mark and Robbie sat themselves down next to the two of them on the sofa while the kids went off and played and Emma and Ayda made their way into the kitchen.

"What is it with women and kitchens?" Robbie whispered to his three friends on the sofa next to him.

"Lord knows," Jason laughed.

"What's that?" Gary asked as he came into the living room.

"We were just wondering what it is with women and kitchens." Howard informed him as he sat down.

"Oh, God knows." Gary smiled. "Anyway, while they're in the kitchen and the kids are playing what do you guys want to do?" Gary asked.

"No idea," Howard answered.

"Sleep," Mark said a moment later resting his head on Howard's shoulder. The others looked at him with concern.

"Are you all right, Mark?" Gary asked seriously. Mark didn't answer.

"Mark?" Robbie asked putting a hand on his shoulder.

"Mmm?"

"You OK?" Jason asked.

"Mmm," Mark said again.

"Is that a yes or a no?" Howard asked him.

"Yeah," Mark answered.

"Yes?"

"Yeah,"

"How about you have a bit of a nap then, eh?" Gary suggested. "We'll make sure that we've got enough popcorn to last the night."

"You and your bloody popcorn!" Robbie said rolling his eyes, but with a smile on his face. Gary just grinned back at him and said nothing.

"Come on then, let Marky get some kip." Howard said ruffling Mark's hair before slowly moving so Mark could lie flat on the sofa. "You gonna be all right?" He asked as the others, too, stood up. Mark just nodded and closed his eyes, curling up on the sofa once everyone was standing.

"See you in a bit, Marky." Jason said. Mark smiled with his eyes still shut and the others made their way out of the living room to leave Mark to rest. Robbie, however, stayed behind for a minute and bent down in front of Mark and run a hand through Mark's hair.

"You OK?" Robbie asked. Mark opened his eyes and looked at him with a smile.

"I'm fine, if I sleep now I'll probably be all right 'til midnight." Mark told him. It didn't help the look f worry on Robbie's face. "Robbie, seriously, I'm OK. I'm just a little tired." Mark said. He took Robbie's hand into his own and looked him in the eye.