Chapter 22- Breaking Borders

Katie's POV

I couldnt sleep.

Maybe I was just being paranoid but ever since the phone call late this afternoon, I've had this unsettled feeling in my stomach. I practically had to force down my dinner tonight. I turned one more time in my bed, staring at the ceiling.

All of a sudden, there was a bark which sounded all too much like a certain little pooch I know.

Great, now I'm imagining things, I thought to myself as I pulled the covers over my head trying to drown out my hallucination.

The barking persisted.

I pulled the covers off and jumped out of the bed. The longer the dog barked it seemed to be more real. I walked over to the window and opened it, a cool burst of wind hitting my face. I peered down at the little white fluff from my three story bedroom window.

Pooh?

It couldn't be.

" Pooh," I called out. At the sound of my voice, the dog's tail began to wag feverishly and he started to whine. It was him.

I quickly ran out of my room- not caring whether I was barefoot or not- abd down the spiral staircase. Surprisingly, the front was left unlock so I easily slipped through.

It was pitch black outside, the only light coming from the moon. My feet crunched against the dry leaves as I rounded the buildling to where my bedroom window would be. I called out to him again and he came running back into my arms.

How did he even get here?

" Hey boy," I said and ran my fingers through his soft curls.

All of a sudden, there was a crunch, a growl  and the sound of approaching footsteps. I went frigid.

Three wolves emerged out of the dark of the forest. Each toke a stance in a semi-circle, to corner me against the building. I started to hyperventilate because I knew what was bound to happen next.

He found me.

The Great Alpha himself showed a few seconds later, stopping only a few feet away from me. He studied me for a few seconds, his face expressionless.

" Come," he demanded simply with an out stretched hand.

" Fuck no"

My hand flew to my mouth in shock at the curse word that left my lips. Even Liam looked taken aback by my sudden hostility.

" Leave her alone," a voice shouted. I turned to see Eli just as he was about to charge at Liam.

He didn't get very far.

One by one, the wolves tackled Eli to the ground. A blood curdlimg scream left my lips when I heard the deafing sound of bones breaking and Eli screamed in agony. Tears started to stream down my cheeks.

I only tore my eyes away from the horrific scene when I noticed Liam stepping closer to me. I watched as he dug into his pocket, producing a white cloth. I gasped.

" Please. Please don't," I begged and backed up against the wall, my tears flowing even more. " Please. If you loved me ypu wouldn't do this"

He stopped and closed his eyes, almost like having an internal battle with himself before proceeding coming towards me.

" Nooo," I screamed again to no avail when he yanked me closer to him, crushing my back against his chest. He placed the cloth to my nose and I was forced to breathe in the content of the cloth.

" I'm sorry," his voice was a pained whisper in my ear.

My vision started to blur and the last thing I heard was yet another agonizing cry from Eli.

And then I blacked out.

****
Katie's POV

When I stirred from my sleep, I winced when I felt what seemed to be a pounding headache. I opened my eyes to realise I was once again in Liam's bedroom.

" Look who's awake," a voice said, my head snapped to the direction of the strange voice.

A guy sat on a chair in the far corner of the room, spinning a basketball around on his index finger. He turned to look at me with bright eyes. I gasped at how alluring they were.

He smirked." You snore loud"

My eyes flickered away from his to stare at the bed. Memories from before flashed back into my mind, including the grusome attack Eli endured, and I shuddered. I flinched a bit when the stranger suddenly rose from his seat and made his way to sit at my bedside.

" Here," he said, picking up a water bottle from the nightstand beside me and handing it to me, along with a couple pain relievers.

" Thank you," I croaked. My throat felt like sand paper. I took the tablets ans handed him back the remaining water.

" The Alpha has ordered me to take care of you while he's out handling business," the guy said.

I didn't react to his words. I was just in a state of mind where I didn't really care about anything pertaining to him. I know what you're thinking, 'that's your mate' but there's only so much hurt, betrayal and heartbreak a person can go through before the completely shut down.

" What happened to Eli?," I asked the question that had been burning inside me since I woke up. I didn't meet his gaze.

Instead of answered my question, he rose and said," The Alpha will be back before dinner"

He left.

I stared absentmindly at the wall before me. Slowly but surely, it felt as if the walls were closing in on me. I toke a deep breath, hoping to calm myself down but that didn't seem to work.

Suddenly, the blankets that covered me felt like hot patchea and I violently ripped them off my body. I shot out of the bed in a haste, breathing heavily. I hugged myself as I broke out into a cold sweat and sunk until I sat on the floor, fetal position.

" Hey, calm down," a voice said, startling me. I looked frantically around the room for the soucre of the sound. No one was there.

Hell, maybe I am going crazy.

" Who's there?," I asked.

" It's just me, Katie"

" And you are?"

" Your second half, your wolf," the voice replied and it seemed to be coming from my head.

" How come I haven't heard from you before. I shifted almost two years ago," I said.

" Yeah, I'm sorry about that. You're father wasn't the nicest person"

I scoffed.

" Why the sudden visit?," I asked after.

" You need me more than ever now. You've let people walk over you for too long, Katie, and it ends now," she explained.

************************************************
Author's Note:

Katie met her wolf for the first time.

Upcoming chapters Katie will take a dramatic character change. She's growing up!

Who else feels fucked over from Pretty Little Liars last Tuesday?

I mean seriously...CeCe?? She had the dumbest motive ever!!

Thanks, Marlene.

-booksmiler