Chapter 5

Chapter 5

He was running.

Since the start of the game, he cowardly stood behind a group of warriors and watched as they fought for their lives. He observed as numerous creatures bit, slashed, and tore through each of his clan members and friends. The moment he saw that they were losing the fight, he would run away as they called out for him to help.

Even now as he ran away from the monsters that were chasing after him, he could see the pleading look in the eyes of his friends as he ran away. He could hear the screams as they were brutally sliced open for the pleasure of those sadist beasts.

Now as he ran, he feared for his life. There was no one to help him. There was no one to cause a distraction long enough for him to high-tail his ass out of the fight to save his own behind.

And he wondered if this was fati's cruel joke of karma. If so, he was not enjoying it.

He should have left home when Zeno advised them too. In this instant, he was regretting the decision he made to stay and prove to his clan, his father that he most definitely was not weak!

His father played in the games years ago and even though he did not win, his father survived. For that alone, the old man never let him forget about it.

"Son, if you survive and do not come home in a high position, I suggest you not coming home at all! For you will no longer be my son. You will just be worthless!" His father's voice ranged in his ear.

Manhood be damn! His father be damn! The creatures he witnessed warriors encountered were blood thirsty and he knew they--he had no chance of surviving. There was too many. No one will survive this war.

Yet, he kept running. He doesn't know how long he has been running since he stumbled upon them. All he knows is that he could feel them breathing down his neck and he would constantly turn back to see the space between him and his pursuers. Every time he turned back, he would see nothing and would question if he was going insane, playing the games.

Although he couldn't see them, he can hear their sick laughs as they hunted him down. That encouraged him to run even faster.

Just a little bit more. He constantly told himself. Keep running! Don't. Stop.

"Where are you little human?" The creatures mocked as they flew around him.

The voices, the laughs, they were getting closer. He picked up his pace and kept running. He dodged the branches, jumped over the fallen, decaying trees and kept moving.

Oh gods, how much he wanted to keep going. He was losing energy and he knew if he was to stop, it would be his death.

Not paying much attention to the debris on the grounds, he tripped over a decaying log and fell to the wet ground with a loud yelp. He roughly turned around and tried to situate himself.

Hurry! He told himself Hurry up before they get to you!

Before he knew it, he was grabbed and his feet were twenty—no! Fifty feet up in the air. Whatever had grabbed him was moving and moving fast.

The wind rushed towards his face and he had to squint his eyes to prevent them from drying. He looked below him and he could see thousands and thousands of trees beneath his feet as he flew above them. And if he wasn't mistaken, he could see a group of warriors battling it out with some type of half horse half man monsters.

Am I out of my mind? He questioned himself. He tried to rub his eyes with his arms, but the pain in his shoulder prevented the movement. He looked at his shoulders and almost cried. There was blood pouring out. What was worse were the talons that dug themselves into his flesh.