XI. Succumbing to the Hungry Lion

Start from the beginning

"You shouldn't worry about things that don't concern you, Amanda," Melanie said, closing her book firmly. Her voice sounded so...bitter

It grabbed my attention and when I looked at her, I was stunned to see her hazel eyes hard. The joyful and excited girl was gone replaced by someone cold and bitter. But being bitter didn't suit her. Her autumn hair was braided into a fishtail and the spring dress she wore fitted her body perfectly making every girl envious of her curvy body. Melanie was beautiful, I won't lie. She would be a perfect model in the runway. Though, despite her beauty and charming smiles, I didn't like this bitter side of her. It was like seeing Ella all over again except Ella seem like she couldn't hurt a fly but...Melanie could.

Maybe that was my imagination to think that but when I met her, I knew she was hiding something along with Helena and Dani. But her secrets were darker, almost...cynical.

As soon as the bell rung, all that bitterness vanished from her eyes replaced with joy and excitement again. It almost scared me that she could change her expressions so quickly like an actor playing its parts perfectly. 

"C'mon!" She jumped up from her seat, shoving her book into her bag. "Let's go to Yearbook Club!"

I sighed and stood up, throwing the remains of my food in the trash and walked along with Melanie to the main building. I wasn't that excited to go to club. I hardly knew what to do. All the other members told is that we had a project to do this Friday at the championship game. I'm guessing we had to capture everything and see what photos would be perfect for the school's newspaper. I clutched my bag to the side and pushed open the door of the cafeteria and welcomed the soothing cool breeze. Students begun to head to their dorms or to practice; some lingered around with their friends. 

I glanced to my left side to see Helena still talking to Ella, her expression hadn't softened. It was hard and made her look frighteningly intimidating. Her lips moved continuously yet I couldn't hear anything. I wasn't trying to pry but that itching feeling to listen to their conversation was eating me. I was sort of glad that Melanie and I were heading to their direction and maybe I could hear what they were arguing about. I strained my ear, hoping Melanie wouldn't distract me as we passed by them.

"...don't ever defy, Ella," Helena hissed, leaning her face closer to Ella. Anger continued to fill in those violet eyes. "I have a higher rank than you and I could easily take you out of the equation. I was screamed at for being late. So, don't come yelling at me how it was my fault she ended up like that. I'm not the one who laid a finger on her--"

"But you sent Sam!" Ella exclaimed, looking up at Helena with tear filled eyes.

Suddenly, Helena grasped Ella's shirt in her fist and raised her off the ground like an inch. "Sam knows her job. She has no choice but to obey my orders not your foolish cries. It was her decision to join and know her place. I suggest you do the same, Ella." Helena released her, not caring that Ella lost her balance and fell to the ground. 

"Is that how you treat girls, Helena?" Melanie's voice clicked her tongue.

Helena's violet eyes drifted to the both of us, hardly sparing a glance at me as she trained her cold eyes on Melanie. "Do you want to know how I treat people who eavesdrop on my conversations?"

Melanie chuckled, rolling her eyes, "C'mon, Amanda. We're going to be late."

Helena's eyes landed on me and I could feel those butterflies awakening inside of my stomach. My fingertips suddenly became tingly and I was slowly being drowned in those violet eyes. I could see the anger dissipating from her eyes and a small smile graced her lips which called out to me to kiss. I silently craved for those lips but refrained myself from doing. I couldn't shake out the conversation she had with Ella from my mind. Even though Ella was cleaning the dirt from her jeans, I didn't want to leave her alone with Helena. Who knows what else could've happened.