Nine

Peyton ,

"Grandpa!" Kai yelled, running thru the livingroom trying to get to my father.

"Princess Kai!" He yelled back, scooping her up in his arms , showering her with kisses.

"I missed you papa. Are you staying?" Kai asked, smiling.

"I missed you too and yeah. Papa's staying."

"Good!" She squealed, causing all of us to laugh.

I watched as Kai and my father sat and played catch up. It was too cute how much they adored one another. I just picked Kai up from school and told her that a surprise was waiting on her at home. Her reply was "Is it daddy?" .

Lately she's been kind of down since daddy isn't here with us everyday like he use to but I tried in so many different appropriate ways to explain to her that he isn't going to be here like he once was. It's been 3 months since I last seen Kay. Yeah, we communicate indirectly through his mom when it comes to Kai but that's about it.

Divorce has been crossing my mind a lot lately too, but . . .

"Aye, Peyton. Lets go get ice cream." My dad yelled out to me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Alright." I agreed.

Kai took off her bookbag and the two raced out the door to the car. Following behind I couldn't do anything but laugh. Picture a 40 something year old man running behind a 3 year old. Priceless.

"Grandpa why didn't you tell me you was coming?" Kai asked from the backseat.

"It was a surprise Princess and plus, I know someone has a birthday coming up!"

"MEEEEE!" She yelled.

That was true. My baby will be 4 in 3 weeks. Lord knows Im not ready. Seems just like yesterday I was pushing and later feeding and burping. She's becoming a big girl.

"Anything special you want?" He asked her.

"I have everything papa, but I'll like more toys oh and a pony. I saw a grey one in my Barbie book." She replied, engaged with the idea that she'll indeed get a Pony for her birthday.

"Ok. I'll have to think about it Princess."

I looked in the rearview mirror and noticed that Kai's mouth was in a slight pout . She's too spoiled but she knew better then to speak on not possibly getting her way. She can get that off with her father but not with me.

For the first time since I picked him up from my uncle house, I noticed that my dad had on Armani from head to toe. Tan loafers, tan slacks, and ivory and tan button down. His watch and pinky ring glistened too. Where did this sudden money come from? I made a mental reminder in my mind to have a talk with him. Lord knows we don't need him back in prison again. He just got out of a life sentence. Next time the board wont be so nice.

After getting icecream with my two favorite people, I dropped my dad off at the house and gave him keys to one of my cars and then I went to drop Kai off at her grannys.

"Hey Peyton baby!"

Katherine, Kaylan's mom yelled pulling me into a hug.

"Hey mama K. Whats going on?" I asked, taking a seat in the open Island stool.

"Nothing really. Hey nana's poo poo." She cooed to Kai, who jumped into her arms, showered her with kisses and got down to run upstairs with Von.

"So why is Kaylan back home? He wont tell me. When I ask he just say, "ask her." What happened?" she asked, sitting across from me.