Chapter 3

*

  I knocked on the black, rusty old door waiting for someone to open it and welcome me in. It was cold and dark, plus it was wet which annoyed me to no end. Well, I don't really mind the cold to be honest; most vampires don't mind the cold. I for one actually quite like the cold, it calms me down, and right now that's exactly what I needed. Rocking back and forth on my tiptoes, I looked at up and frowned in disappointment when I saw no stars. That's what you get for living in England right?

   My nose automatically scrunched up as the strong scent of weed drifting from behind me, entered my nose, which meant that a bunch of screwed up kids were approaching. I  groaned in annoyance and stuffed my hands in my the pockets of my hoodie. Standing impatiently at the door, I stepped from side to side trying to keep myself occupied and avoiding fragments of broken glass from what looked like a beer bottle.

   My head shot up as slurred roars and brooms travelled towards me, followed by gurgles of laughter. I squinted my eyes and slowly turned around to look behind me only to see distant white lights from a herd of motorcycles that became brighter as I tried to make out who was riding them. Oh, will you look at that. It's gang of teenagers making their way in your direction at eleven o'clock at night. Oh goodie, you're in for a treat. An agonised and irritated groan left my mouth as I spun myself back to face the door, which now only looked glummer than it did before. Hoping that they wouldn't see me, I immediately stopped myself from shifting from side to side and glared at the door, waiting for it to open.

  I was not in the mood for this. The last thing I needed was to put up with a bunch of ignorant, stupid kids who were stoned out of their minds from swallowing all of that smoke on a Saturday night. There's nothing more that I hate than teenagers who think they're my age, and think that they know everything there is to know about life or that they can mess with me just because I avoid them all the time. They were probably going to harass me and try to take me on, and despite my dominant strength and speed, I'd probably just try to talk it out or let them think that they're beating the crap out of me because if I lost my temper just a little bit, I'd probably end up ripping them to shreds and find myself lying an a pool of blood and flesh. Intense, right?

  I know, it's so messed up, but I can't help it. Not when I'm stressed like this. Not when I know that I'm going to actually have to attend school soon, and put up with bloody gits like these practically everyday for six and half hours. The thought just sent shivers up my spine. I didn't use to lose control to the point that I'd actually hurt someone when I was human. Well, most of the time. But when I was stressed I lose my temper, and worst thing I'd do is shout a little and storm off.

  But being a vampire is different. If something ticks me off when I'm anxious or worried, I'll go on a killing streak and that is not something I'm okay with happening. Not because I care about the humans who end up dead, I mean if I got angry enough to kill them, surely they had it coming right? But because it would mess up everything down at the house. Ida would never look me in the eye again, and Sebastian and Quincy wouldn't hold themselves back from doing the same. Eventually we'd expose ourselves, and because everyone knew about us we wouldn't act human.

  Humans would be slaves to us because they're too weak to do anything about it. In my opinion, it doesn't sound all that bad to me, but for some reason Ida wants nothing more but to avoid that situation. To be honest I don't get it, but I'm not willing to lose my second family due to my stupid actions. They're the only reason I haven't gone off and killed loads of people. Ha, humans; they ought to look up to Ida. She saves their damned lives every single day of the week, and all she gets is shit from councils and the governments.

  Right now my family is the only thing keeping me waiting at the door, in the dark, avoiding trouble. I took a big whiff of the old brick moss covered building, and went through a variation of different smells. First just dust and dirt, then the lovely smell of moss and other beautiful greens, then a depressing scent of old dry cement and ant filled bricks, then the tough smell of smoke which probably came from the kitchen, then came the surprising scent of blood and death, then....Sebastian? What the hell was Sebastian doing here? And why  can I smell a human corpse? I can't believe he actually took that dead girl's body here and stayed with it for the whole day, probably with no future plans to get rid of it any time soon. Losing my patience and forgetting about the group of kids, I gave the door five heady bangs and yelled,