Chapter 3

*** Here is the next installment of Pains of the Past, hope you all like it and please tell me what you think so far. <3 ***

IrishEyez

Chapter 3

"Mom... Danny took my doll!" I jumped at the sound of a young girl wailing and had to wait a moment for the cloudiness from my sleep to clear. When I realized that I was not in my own bed at home, the last week of travel came back to me.

"No I didn't, Nick did!" Another voice yelled.

I slipped out of bed and dug my father's watch from my coat pocket. It indicated that it was about 11:00am, this was the longest I had ever slept.

After I dressed in my dark purple dress and braided my bright red hair, I stepped out into the hallway and took a moment to take in my surroundings. When I got to the bottom of the stairs, I was nearly bowled over by a thin brown haired girl.

"May, stop running in the house, if you feel the need to run, go outside."

I made my way down the hallway until I found where Aunt Betty was shouting from. "Good morning" I said sheepishly.

"Well, look who finally decided to join the living. How did you sleep child?" I cringed at the name that she insisted on calling me.

I put on a smile before answering. "I slept wonderfully, thank you. Would you like some help?" I asked as I watched her cutting biscuits from rolled out dough.

"You don't have to dear." She answered, never taking her eyes off of her work.

"I insist, I loved helping with the cooking at home."

"If you must, go ahead and grab an apron, I'll let you take over here."

As I was tying the blue flowered apron around my back, an older woman came into the kitchen, ranting in Spanish.

"Yo nunca tienen un día libre, incluso cuando se toma el día para ir a la ciudad, cuando puedo conseguir un día libre?" ("I never get a day off, even when you take the day to go to town, when do I get a day off?")

I chuckled at the woman's forwardness and knew that Aunt Betty had no idea what the woman was going on about. I decided to let her know that I knew what she was saying.

I walked up to the woman as she set down the eggs she was carrying in. "Buenos días, minombre es Lilly y lo que es tuyo?" ("Good morning, my name is Lilly and what is yours?")

The woman and my Aunt stood in shock that I was speaking Spanish.

"How do you know what she is saying Lilly?" Aunt Betty asked as she washed off her hands.

"My best friend back in New York, Hector, he and his mother taught me how to speak Spanish."

"Por favor, no le digas lo que yo estaba diciendo: Yo necesito este trabajo Miss" ("Please do not tell her what I was saying, I need this job Miss.") She said pleadingly.

"No te preocupes, no se lo diré." ("Do not worry, I will not tell her.”)

"Gracias querida, mi nombre es Juanita." ("Thank you dear one, my name is Juanita.")

I shook her callused and firm hand. "Encantado de conocerte Juanita". ("Nice to meet you Juanita.")

Aunt Betty cleared her throat, causing Juanita and myself to look at her.

“Sorry Aunt Betty, it has been nearly a week and I miss speaking Spanish.”

“It’s fine child; let’s get lunch done, shall we?” She said sternly with a cocked eyebrow.