Chapter 1

*** I decided to start posting a new book, it is a little different from my other books that I have out. I originally wrote this for my mom as a Christmas present last year and she gave me the green light on putting it on here. I hope you all like it and as my current fans know, I like to give dedications for first comments. So please comment and vote, let me know what you think... thanks in advance. ***

IrishEyez

Chapter 1

New York, New York 1876

I have been staring at the same spot on the wall for last twenty minutes, waiting for the doctor to come from my father’s hospital room. I know he doesn’t have much time left, but I was hoping for a little longer than what we have had.

My dad is all I have left in the world. Mom died when I was eight and we have been inseparable even since. He started getting really tired and weak about six months ago and we both thought it was just his advanced age. He is 54 and met mom and had me kind of late in life.

I am eighteen and honestly, I know I could take care of myself when he goes, but he has arranged for me to go to Montana to live with my Aunt and Uncle on their ranch. I love the city and to tell the truth, I am a little afraid of horses ever since mom’s fall that took her life.

Dad tells me that I will love it there and that getting out of the hectic city will be good for me. I don’t want to leave, the only friend I have is here. His name is Hector Gonzalez and we have been best friends since I was about nine and dad hired his mom to be our live in maid.

We would do everything together and he even taught me how to speak Spanish. It is quite funny to see the reactions of people when we start talking to each other in public about absolutely nothing at all, yet everyone seems to think we are talking about them.

“Hola Lilly” I heard Hector call as he walked down the stark white hallway of the hospital.

“Hi” I said as I got up to give a hug. I have never seen him as someone I might be interested in; he’s too much like a brother. But, I know he likes me, he has told me several times.

“How is he doing today?” We sat down and Hector rested his hand on top of mine which were folded in my lap.

I placed my head on his shoulder before answering, while holding back my tears. “The doctor is in with him now and they have called for the priest to give him his last rights.”

He placed a soft kiss to the top of my head. “I’m sorry mi flur (my flower)” He has called me his flower since the day we met, and no one else is allowed to call me that.

We waited in silence until a while later when the doctor came out to talk to me. I stood to greet him.

“He would like to talk to you dear, you may go in now.” He patted a strong hand onto my shoulder, and then turned to tend to his other patients.

“Would you like me to come in with you Lilly?” Hector asked with a furrowed brow and still holding my hand.