Family Ties

I snuck in the back door and opened the fridge, glad that I had gone undetected so far.

"Wasn't expecting to see you back so soon" mom almost whispered.

'Hungry' I signed, then gave up on the refrigerator and opened the snack cabinet.  How could nothing look good when I was practically starving to death?  I heard his steps just before his large form took up most of the doorway.

"Well if it isn't Asher.  What  is he slinking around for?" Uncle Steve asked.

"He's not slinking, he's getting something to eat.  You know how teenage boys are, they're always hungry" my mom answered, trying to deflect. 

"Well why doesn't he come on out here with the family?  What's the point of keeping him at home if you're just going to let him hide out all the time?"

There was one, exactly ONE good thing about my uncle.  He never spoke to me.  It meant that I didn't have to look at him when he said stupid shit like that or even worse, try to formulate some sort of answer.  I didn't have to TRY to be polite which was good, because it was just about impossible.  I wasn't sure how my mom did it, honestly.  I had no doubt that she would be having several drinks at dinner though and I didn't blame her one bit.  I just wished she would share one with me.

"He has a lot of studying to do Steve, it's not easy changing schools during the year.  He's going to go upstairs and study until dinner, right Asher?"  She had been working magic while I stared into the abyss of the cabinet and handed me a pb&j sandwich.  "Here you go honey.  Good luck."

My uncle started up again as soon as I hit the stairs.  "Still can't figure out how you manage to get him enrolled in normal schools, Nel.  Why do they take him?  They can't be equipped to handle people like...."  Luckily it faded out once I shut my door.

I was going to have to listen to it at dinner, but I didn't now.  I put my headphones on and sent Dan a quick text.

Asher:  Made it to my room alive.  Have food.  How's the haircut?

He answered me about five minutes later.

Dan the Man:  Skipped it, well just a trim.  Gonna let it get longer and see what happens.  Mom found friends and they're gabbing.  Maybe she'll forget about shopping.

Asher:  Doubt it Mr. Capri pants

Dan the Man:  Ha Ha Ha you are SO funny.  They're not THAT short, I just pull them down a lot.  Gonna start flashing people soon though, it's getting dangerous.

Asher:  I'm not sure what to do with that mental image.  Brain overload.

Dan the Man:  Says the shorty who doesn't have to worry about it.  Oh we're going ttyl.

I opened up my history book and tried to finish a chapter, then gave up and opened my music folder and played my recordings of Dan as I tried to memorize more of it.  Then, after I'd run through the two songs I knew pretty well I started work on the third one.  It was easier than the others and I didn't have any trouble picking it up.  Before I knew it, mom was knocking on my door and peeking in.

"Time for dinner Asher, we're leaving in 10 minutes."

I made a face.

"I know.  Me too sweetie."

At least I had her on my side.  My dad didn't put up with Steve making too many remarks either, but my uncle knew that and didn't say much in front of him.  That led to dad thinking that mom and I overreacted.  Besides, Steve was his brother so he was a little blind to his obnoxiousness.  I didn't blame him for that, really. 

I gave a little prayer of thanks that I hadn't seen aunt Mary yet.  I could make it through dinner, probably, as long as I didn't have to sit next to her.  Last year when we'd visited, that crazy woman had actually refused to give me a knife and had CUT my food for me before serving me on my own divided, plastic plate.  Then she tried to FEED me like an infant.  I know that some stroke victims need help, and I'm sure they would maybe be grateful for it, but I'm fine.  Yes, my right side had been very weak for about 6 months after my stroke but luckily I'm left-handed.   Now no one could really tell.  I could handle things just fine, thankyouverymuch.  Her coddling and pity-party were almost worse than my uncle thinking I should be locked away in some sort of group home or hospital.  Almost.

I made a quick run to the bathroom, then checked my teeth and hair before walking down the stairs as slowly as possible.  I stopped when my phone chirped.

Dan the Man:  Praise Levi, only two stores.  Done and home.

Dan the Man:  SpongeBob tonight?  Come over after dinner.

Asher:  Yes!  If I don't get arrested during dinner.

Dan the Man:  Gonna be that bad?  You can pick the first episode.

Asher:  Deal

"Asher!  Let's go!" my dad called and I tucked my phone away.  Show time.