Staying for dinner

"Sorry if I got too nosy and shit.  That got kind of personal huh?"  I expected him to sit back in the chair but instead he was on my bed and I sat down at the desk instead.  "Wait, Asher? I can't really read your notes from back there.  Can you sit over here?  I don't have some deadly virus or anything.  I mean, I had that avian flu a few weeks ago but I'm feeling much better."

Okay, he was funny and yeah, my writing was sort of small and he'd been nothing but great to me.  I had no right to be mad.  So, I sat, perched on the end with my legs crossed like I was going to have high tea with the Queen or something.  Not that I wouldn't love to, I mean, really?  But not quite the look I was going for so I uncrossed them.

"So, I'll start, how about that?  I'll tell you about me and then you can write and tell me whatever you want.  Cool?"

I wasn't sure I had a choice, but I was curious so I nodded.

"I've lived here my whole life.  It's actually a pretty decent town, and close to the city which is great.  Uh, I love music.  I mean, really love it.  And I don't play basketball even though everyone expects me to.  I tried it once when I was like 10 and it did NOT go well.  Do you play any sports?"

Negative.

"You didn't really look like the type but you never know.  Chess nerd by any chance?"

I was offended and he could tell.

"I am, I'm really a total dork.  Oh well, I was hoping.  So what DO you like?"

Music.  Anime.  Movies too, but cartoons are my  thing.  All the shit on my walls.

"Finally, permission to look around."  He stood and started at my door and made a full circuit around my room.  "I like you already.  So, I guess I should offer to do another song?"

No need.  Two is enough right now.  Maybe another in a week or so?  If you don't mind?

"Yeah sure. Another thing, I talk a lot.  And you don't talk, well at all.  So uh, just tell me to shut up if you want me to.  Okay?  So do you miss your old school?  Friends?  Moving must be hard."

Didn't have any really.  It's fine

"The whole quiet thing?  But you seem awesome, I'm sure someone wanted to... nobody?"

My choice

"Oh, okay.  Well, uh, I'm honored then!"

Nothing happened, I mean no reason.  I just froze and was numb, couldn't really talk.  Felt like a bad dream.  I was at home luckily.  Scared my mom though so I don't like to talk about it.

"Oh your stroke?  Did it hurt?"

Yeah but not my head.  My muscles sort of freaked out

"Is it uh, gonna happen again?"

I'm on medication but who knows

"Oh.  Well thanks for telling me.  I don't quite get how you can sing and not talk though.  I mean, I don't mean you're lying!  I just don't get it."

Me neither.  Google if you want

"Alrighty then.  Conversation over huh?  Fine, that's cool.  I guess I should head home, I've probably overstayed my welcome.  Besides, homework.  I have math from Mr. MacAfee that's literally impossible."

Level?

"Trig"

Me too, did mine.  Want me to help?

"Oh you're in the second period class?  Could you, really?  Even if I can just look at yours, I mean the steps, not the answers.  I can't wrap my head around the new tangent formula."

I laughed and he looked at me like he was surprised I could.  Granted, it didn't sound like it used to, but I could do it.

"Good, I like to know when I'm funny.  Was that for the answers bit?" he asked, then waited a second to give me a chance to nod.  "Or that I'm completely incapable of understanding tangents?"

I nodded when he finished and he looked offended.  I shrugged my shoulders and pulled out my homework.  I hadn't realized how late it was until mom popped her head in and asked if Dan wanted to stay for dinner.  He looked at me and I nodded happily, so he accepted.

So are you an only child and live with your mom who's never home?

"What?  Uh, no. I have two sisters but they're both out of the house now; one's in college and the other is doing an internship in England for a year.  My mom is usually home by 5.  Dad sometimes later, but by 6 or so.  Why?"

Curious

"I'm curious as in weird or you were curious?"

I held up two fingers and he looked at me a moment in confusion.

"Oh, the second one.  You were curious. Got ya.  I'll figure you out eventually Asher, no worries."

For a moment I allowed myself to think that maybe he would.  But I'd been through this before. I was a shiny new toy and right now, I was a challenge.  Eventually though, the new car smell would wear off and he'd find better ways to spend his days than dealing with me.

"Dinner!!!" my mom called.

As soon as we headed down the stairs, Dan grabbed my arm.  "It smells delicious!  What is it?"

I couldn't answer him though, and figured he'd know soon enough.  As soon as we hit the dining room, my guess was confirmed.  Yummy.

"It's lasagna!  Wow!  Thanks so much Mrs. G!"  He looked to me, then my mom before settling on my dad.

"Oh Danny, this is Mr. Greyson.  Mike, Danny's helping Asher learn the new music for choir."

"Well in that case, I'll gladly share some of Nel's world famous lasagna.  Nice to meet you Danny."

Mute Songbird (boyxboy) -Complete-जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें