Chapter 20

"Nagini! With me!" Voldemort yells.

Voldemort, his cloak swirling like water, the great snake at his heels, strides toward the steps and fires.

Harry flinches as shards of mare rain down upon him. Wheeling he fires back.

Voldemort parties Harry's spells with frightening ease, mounting the steps and firing again and again.

Eyes darting frantically, Harry blocks the spells with a mixture of skill, instinct and pure luck. He stumbles back, firing wildly. One of his spells skitters down the steps and strikes Nagini. The snake hisses, unharmed but angry.

"Leave her!" Voldemort screams angrily.

Voldemort's eyes glitter with fury as if he, himself had been struck with the spell.

Harry fires again aiming for the snake this time. Voldemort counters with palpable fury, spells caroming madly up and down the staircase. Harry shields his eyes briefly, then looks down and sees a cloud of smoke hanging over the stairs from Voldemort's spells, but Voldemort himself is gone.

Harry glances about frantically, then a whooping sound, sounds. The hairs on Harry's neck rise. He turns. Voldemort materializes at the top of the stairs, fires a ribbon of fire at him. Harry counters it but it is too strong. He cannot deflect it. He stands, connected to Vold wort by the rippling ribbon of fire.

He stumbles back, the muscles in his arm twitching in pain. He hears a heavy rolling sound, like meat slapping the marble table, and looks over his shoulder, downward.

Nagini is undulating upward, over the steps, toward Harry. As the snake hisses an oddly similar sound escapes Voldemort's lips as he he pushes his advantage. The ribboning flames grow more intense, they begin to lick Harry's flesh of Harry's wand hand. Harry glances once more at Nagini, who draws closer, the back at Voldemort, who stares fiercely at Harry, willing the flames down the ribbon of light toward Harry.

Harry winces as the flames singe the hair on his knuckles. The summoning all the strength he has, Harry breaks the spell, staggering away, the ribbon of light shoots to the ceiling above, giving way, and debris rains down on Nagini.

"I SAID LEAVE HER!" Voldemort screams.

Harry peers down at the wreckage below, then watches Nagini slither free, her thick braids oozing with lacerations but otherwise unharmed. Whoosh! Harry turns to see Voldemort gone, only to reappear seconds later on Harry's blind side.

Harry wheels and, in a sweeping motion send a cluster of debris hurtling toward Voldemort. Instantly, Voldemort reaches out his hand and the debris grows smaller until it reaches his hand and it vanishes altogether.

Sand runs between his fingers to the floor. Harry stands watching, stunned. His eyes meet Voldemort's. Voldemort's eyes narrow errily- in a most inhuman way, and he hisses. Harry stumbles back, freaked out, when:

"Now, my sweet. Now!" Voldemort hisses in Parseltongue.

Harry turns, sees Nagini, only yards away, rising to strike, then fires instinctively. He dashes for the Balustrade and leaps... into the air.. falling... and falling... until.... he lands on the stone floor below, awkwardly, painfully. He glances up, sees Voldemort's face. Instantly, Voldemort flicks his wand and the floor around Harry explodes, the surface dancing like water. He turns, glances about frantically, then spies a door. Without thinking, he pelts toward it and goes through, into a corridor teeming with smoke. In the distance, a patch of light drifts oddly in the swirling most, glowing weakly, then is swallowed by the smoke. Far off Harry hears screams. Cries of battle hang in the air below and distant.

Harry moves the ought the most, feeling his way. The walls shimmer. A low beating rises in his ears, rapid at first then growing slower and slower as it increases in volume and all ambient sound drifts away, revealing the low beating to be the thrumming of Harry's heart.

Voldemort sweeps down to the lower landing and pauses, eyeing the door ahead. He glances up, in the direction of Nagini- conflicted.

"Nagini." Says Voldemort. He waits, sees the snake begins to send its way down. Then passes through the door. Nagini is slithering, flowing like water ever downward, when- thwack! A bit of rubble bounces off her slithering tail. She hisses, cooling in on herself, blunt head darting about warily. The bit of rubble came from Hermione, she stands watching.

Reading back she hurdles another shape fragment. As the fragment hits it's mark, Nagini strikes blindly, furiously, then spies Hermione.

Instantly she begins to slither toward Hermione bad Hermione stands her ground, Ron, to the left is holding a Basilisk fang.