Chapter 15

(Author's note: Chapter 14 and Fred's death took a while. The rest of the book was no problemo but as soon as i got to Fred's death.. i took a break. This chapter took a little bit under.. 3 weeks i think. I was not emotionally stable. next to Harry, Fred was my favorite. Both the twins were, but Fred, spoke out to me. In the movie The goblet of fire, i laughed when Fred asked Angelina out to the ball. But in this, Fred was in love with Lily the first time he saw her, in the train station. Being two years older than her, when he graduated Hogwarts, they broke it off. Lily cried for a week, Fred was miserable at home. But Lily got over it. It took a little bit but, then Draco kissed her, and suddenly she felt that wonderful, earth shattering feeling of love. All the pieces suddenly formed back together. Her heart was held together with tape and glue. Draco fixed her then, now he's going to have to do it again.)

Lily's POV

Harry takes my hand and leads me to Dumbledore's office. He opens the cabinet not so gently, snatches the pensieve and slams it to Dumbledore's old desk.

"Harry, stop it." I scowl. He ignores me as he pries the cork off the bottle.

"You need to watch it too. I think it's going to be important." Harry says.

"Really? Now what gave you that idea?" I say as sarcastic as i can. He looks at me while he pours the liquid in the pensieve. Lily looks to him and then the pensieve and sticks her head in the liquid. Harry follows.

First we see darkness. We move toward the dark village in the distance. Frantic breathing. We stop. Still. A baby's cry separates briefly from the breeze.We circle about, finding a face hovering in the darkness. It is Snape, chest rising and falling. Stricken. Concerned. Then it goes black.

"Lily! Come out of there now!" Petunia Evans calls into the darkness. Then we see a small girl, who looks a lot like me... Our mum in a weedy field. She emerges from some brush, a flower upon her palm, opening and closing its petals like some bizarre oyster. Petunia stares, then slaps the flower away.

"We're going home." Petunia says again and takes Lily's arm, turns- and stops. A skinny boy sits beneath a tree, watching them. Without a word, he opens his hand and a leaf flutters from his palm like a butterfly, circling Lily once, then drifting up and away. Lily smiles, charmed. Petunia eyes the boy fearfully, then pulls Lily away. The boy watches them go. As Lily glances back... It goes dark again.

It fades back into Godric's Hollow, in my old house. Snape moves through a dark garden, his face like stone. He eyes the door ahead, hanging from its hinges. He peers up to the window above. The baby's cry rises again. His eyes glitter. He moves on, disappears inside.

Then it goes black again fading into the same weedy field where Lily and Snape lay together in the grass, staring at the sky.

"She's jealous. Because she's ordinary and you're special." Young Severus says.

"That's mean." Mum says.

"It's true. You know so yourself."

Snape turns his head, notes the frown knitted across Lily's brow. He peers back up, staring hard at the tree limb above. The leaves begin to tremble, then bursts free, fluttering like a cloud of butterflies. Lily watches impassively and then- slowly- smiles, shifting her gaze to another branch. Seconds later, those leaves burst free and the two fluttering veils pass back and forth high overhead, merging briefly, then separating, again and again. Lily laughs- sounds like my laugh- and the hiss of a train engine is heard. The leaves turning, we are brought to Kings Cross. We see smoke drifting from the Hogwart's Express. Then we are brought to inside the train.

Severus peers out the window, watching Lily and Petunia on the platform arguing, their voices muted. Finally, Lily turns, dashing for the train in tears. Severus straightens up, running the flat of his hand over his lank hair. Moments later...Lily comes up the aisle, eyes stinging. She stops, seeing him. They stare at one another and then, finally,she steps inside the compartment, and sits down. The boy reaches over, pulls down the blind, wiping the screen and then we are brought into the Great Hall.