Chapter 7

No one's POV

The four heroes are looking at a poster of Harry and Lily.

UNDESIRABLES NUMBER ONE

Shops, shuttered at this hour, sit silently, shrouded in a thick fog. Only the Three Broomsticks evidences life, where yellow light, and course laughter drift from greasy windows. Just beyond lies Honeydukes. Suddenly, there is a disturbance in the mist. They glance about when  a scream rents the air. Inhuman. Shrill. The laughter dies inside the Three Broomsticks, a mob of shadows fills the windows. Instantly, the four dart for Honeydukes. As the heroes pile into Honeydukes, Death Eaters spill from the Three Broomsticks.

"There! Right there!" A death eater says.

Harry leads the way, the heroes running wicked fast through the twisting streets, glancing down alleyways for signs of pursuers, the mist both friend and foe. Suddenly, a dark figure appears on the roof above. He whistles.

"I've got them! Down 'ere!"

Harry, Ron, Lily and Hermione race down a side street and stumble into an alcove, lungs burning. Hermione whispers:

"They were ready for us."

Lily looks at Hermione with a look of fear.

Suddenly a beam of light fractures the mist.

"We know you're 'ere Potters. There's no getting away." The Death Eater laughs.

Harry slips the mirror from his pocket and angles it. His own face slides briefly over the surface.

"Perhaps you need some convincing." The Death Eater spits.

"What's he mean by that?" Ron asks.

Hermione and Lily gasp, eyes looking upward. Ron and Harry follow their gaze. Just above the rooftops, barely distinguishable from the night, Dementors drift like smoke. As Harry draws his wand, Hermione stops him.

"No, You'll give us away." She whispers.

The night grows darker, the streetlights dim. The heroes' breath drifts visibly in the gathering chill. As the Dementors descend, the heroes grimace, beset by bleak thoughts. A tear escapes Hermione's eye, trails down her cheek. Finally, Harry can take it no more.

"Expecto Patronum!" He yells. A silver stag bursts from his wand and charges down the street. Lily quickly follows and releases her fox. The stag gallops and the fox runs swiftly and silently, scattering the Dementors before vanishing around the other side of the Hog's Head Inn.

"It's him! He's down here!"

Footsteps clatter on the cobblestones. Harry, Ron, Lily and Hermione glance desperately about when- suddenly- bolts grind, hinges squall and a door opens. A cat slithers out and a man appears in silhouette, the profile familiar...

Harry, Ron, Lily and Hermione slip quickly past the man and enters inside. He gestures toward a rickety wooden staircase, brings a finger to his lips.

Harry and Lily enter a room with a threadbare carpet and a small fireplace. Above which hangs a large Oil painting of blonde girl with a sweet, but vacant stare. He steps to a grimy window and peers down to the street, where half a dozen Death Eaters glance about in confusion. Just then, Hermione and Ron enter the room.

"Did you get a look at him?! For a second i thought it was-"

"I know." Hermione cuts Ron off.

Lily, next to Harry, she observes him take the shard of glass from his pocket.

"Harry! Lily! I can see you two in here." Hermione calls looking at a mirror hanging from the wall. Harry and Lily turn, flabbergasted, to looks at Hermione. Then they both look into the shard of glass to see Hermione's brown eye. Just then Aberforth's hulking form appears on the landing.