Chapter Five: Cheap Romance

“Romantic movies are stupid,” Liam groaned at me, rolling his eyes. “It’s all just a cheap romance. I bet they never even stay together after the movie ends.”

                “Shut up Liam.”

                “None of those movies ever come true.”

                “Shut up.”

                “I’m just saying.”

                “Liam.”

                The boy paused, giving me a sheepish grin. “Yeah, sorry.”

Chapter Five: Cheap Romance

                Needless to say, the rest of the day was awkward. And so was the rest of the week. It almost seemed as if the boys were only asking Karen to have me over just to see how uncomfortable I could be around Liam.

                Well, it was working.

                “Karen wants to know—” Matt started, brows furrowed. He held the phone away from his cheek, covering the mouthpiece with his palm. “Since when have you two become best friends?”

                “I think it’s the boys more so than her,” I sighed back, running a hand through my hair. I had been wearing it straight all week, much to Louis’ delight, but I didn’t feel like doing anything to tame it today.

                I didn’t feel like doing anything today, if I’m being honest.

                “Well, somebody wants to know if you can go help bake cookies because she’s making a lot and needs help.”

                “I can’t bake and Karen knows it,” I grumbled back, and Matt relayed the information before I could stop him.

                “Change of plans; suddenly she’s not home. However, Zayn—”

                “Just tell them that I’ll be there in five, okay?” I really didn’t want to visit the boys—it had nothing to do with them, I swear—but seemed as if I didn’t have a choice.

                And that’s how five minutes later I was face-to-face with Liam Payne.

                Well, more like the misshapen heart birthmark on his neck.

                I had just swung the door open, nose in my phone, and I really wasn’t looking where I was going. I took a step forward into what I presumed to be the threshold, but rebounded back and—due to my own clumsiness—tripped over myself and fell backward.

                My eyes flew up as I shrieked, arms flailing, and I caught sight of Liam, whose eyes were just as wide, and to be honest, he looked a tad pissed off.

                Thanks to fairytales and cheap clichéd romance novels, I was hoping that maybe Liam would swoop in, catch me, look dead in my eyes and realize that he loved me and that he had never stopped.

                But alas, this is real life. And so I hit the ground.

                Hard.

                I’m not sure if I screamed or not, I just remembered the air being knocked out of me and being extremely grateful that the cement walkway was to the left of the door and not right ahead—which is where I fell.