02 ; heirloom

TWO

The thudding of something heavy falling wakes me from my peaceful sleep. I bolt upright in my bed and look around for the cause of noise. My eyes fall on a figure crouching over, hastily picking some objects off of the floor.

I recognize the figure to be Hermione. Once she has managed to pick everything up from the floor, I notice that the objects are all books. Exceedingly thick ones by the look of them. My eyes glance around the room and find that Lavender and Parvati's beds are empty and made.

"I'm terribly sorry for waking you Erika. I was looking for my potions textbook but I can't seem to find it anywhere." Hermione says, frowning. "It's fine Hermione. Have you tried 'Accio Potions Textbook'? It'll be quicker." I ask, pulling the covers off of me before stretching my arms out.

"Oh dear. I completely forgot I could use my wand. How silly of me!" Hermione replies, shaking her head and fetching her wand. I stand up and squat down in front of my trunk. I rummage inside for some comfy clothes to wear. I pull out my black ankle boots, a pair of black tights. I rummage some more and pull out a dark green sweater and a burgundy skater skirt.

After grabbing my underwear and my wand, I head over to the bathroom. I walk in and lock the door behind me, before striping off and turning on the shower. There are numerous options available to choose from. I ponder on which one to choose before eventually settling on the blueberry scented option. The previously colour less water is now a striking blue.

Once I've finished washing myself, I step out of the shower, turning it off, before picking up my wand and drying myself, along with the few puddles of water on the floor. I grab my underwear and put them on.

I pull my tights on before shimmying into my skirt. I then yank on my sweater, which is slightly too big. My hands roll the bottom of my jumper underneath itself, and then roll my sleeves up halfway.

Satisfied with my clothes, I look in the mirror and pick up my brush that I had left on the shelf last night. When I finally finish de-knotting my hair, I part it in the middle and messily braid it to the side.

I ruffle up the front bits slightly and grab my makeup bag from the shelf. Personally, I prefer to do my makeup the muggle way, rather than using my wand. I apply some eyeliner on top of my eyelids, and mascara. Finally, I add some dark red lipstick.

I grab my things from the bathroom and head back into the dormitory. Hermione's sat on the window seat with her nose deep in some book, most likely the potions one she was looking for earlier. I decide to leave her be.

I hide my wand in the discreet pocket in my skirt, and grab some fluffy white socks, putting them on, then zip up my boots. A tapping noise echoes around the large room, I locate the sound and find that my owl is the source of the noise. Rushing over to the window, I open it and allow Lyra indoors.

My mother brought me Lyra as a birthday gift when I turned 11, she's a northern saw-whet owl, one of very few in Britain. Lyra could barely manage with the large parcels I'd send and receive as she's so small, so I bought myself a striped owl named Twyla to handle them.

Twyla's a nocturnal owl and incredibly rare to see, so most of my parcels would be delivered during the night and I'd find them deserted in the morning.