01 ; hogwarts

ONE

                The loud whistle of the Hogwarts steam train breaks me from my trail of thoughts. I have 5 minutes to get on the train before it departs at 11:00am. It's my first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and so far nobody has paid me any attention. My parents had to leave early to attend some Ministry business, but it's fine with me, I know they are going through a lot at the moment.

                I quickly make my way over to the luggage area, receiving many shoves and pushes in the process. Once I had finished loading my trunk onto the old train, I make my way through the swarm of families and students saying their goodbyes. I quickly slide onto the first carriage I see and go in search of a compartment, eager to escape from the bustling crowd of humans.

                After squeezing past many people standing in the walkway, I find the only empty compartment at the very back of the train. I chuck my carry on bag into the overhead storage and take a seat next to the window. My blue eyes travel around the small compartment. As much as I like being around people, I do enjoy the peacefulness of being alone. I reach up into my new rucksack and take out a handful of chocolate frogs, two ham and cheese sandwiches and one of my new books.

                The train lurches forward and I nearly drop my bag onto the floor but I catch it just in time. I'm guessing we are leaving Kings' Cross Station, unless the train just lurches for no apparent reason. Seeing as I am in the last carriage, I go past families after everybody else, Platform 9 3/4 is absolutely crowded, there are a few teary mothers and fathers, but most people are waving goodbye to their children.

                I feel myself smiling at the scene, and I can sense my eyes beginning to water. I wish my parents were here. I know it's not their fault, but I just can't help but feel slightly upset. I wipe away the stray tears that have fallen and return my eyes to my book. I gently trail my fingers along the top binding of the book, searching for the red ribbon that is my bookmark. I quickly find it and flip the book open, my eyes begin to scan the page as I start to fall into an alternative life, eager to escape the one I am currently in. My eyes rapidly scan the page as I get deeper and deeper into the twisting story.

                About 10 minutes later, a tall boy who looks about my age opens the compartments door. I look up from my book and see that a smaller girl with a mane of exceptionally light blonde hair is standing behind him. "Hi, you must be the new student. I'm Neville Longbottom, and this is Luna Lovegood." The brown haired boy says, extending his right hand. I hesitantly shake it before greeting him. "Nice to meet you. I'm Erika Greenville." I respond, smiling at the pair. Luna looks off as if deep in thought and Neville sends a cheesy grin my way.

                "Do you mind if we sit with you? It's rather crowded outside and all the other compartments are full." Luna asks dreamily. "Oh, yeah sure, there's only me here. I wouldn't mind some extra company." I answer, gesturing for them to sit. Neville takes the seat next to me, whilst Luna sits opposite me. The pair erupt into a deep conversation about the upcoming year. I reopen my book to the page I was on before I was unexpectedly interrupted. Not even a minute later and I am once again transported into the life of Charlie Kelmeckis.

                What seems like minutes later, but is actually a few hours, I feel someone poking my shoulder gently and saying my name. I look away from my book and see that it is Neville in fact, who is poking me. "You were sure into that book, Erika. I've been poking you for almost 5 minutes now!" Neville says chuckling. "Oops, sorry Neville. What did you want?" I ask him, giggling slightly. "You should probably change into your robes, we're almost at Hogsmeade." As he says this I notice that both Neville and Luna are in their Hogwarts robes. I notice Luna is in Ravenclaw house, and Neville is in Gryffindor house.