Chapter 1

A loud  clattering sound wakes me up from my sleep.

Panicked I climb out of the bed and run out of my bed room , A quick glance at Mom's open bed room door makes it clear that she is not inside.

I mind racing with all sorts of scary thoughts as I hurry down the stairs  

Did mom fall down again? 

Mom is standing , Her hands trembling violently an expression of horror on her face as she looks down at the pieces of broken glass in a pool of water at her feet.

 " It's alright Mom , It is just a glass of water " I say soothingly to her ,Relieved that she is unharmed.

I help her into a chair beside the break fast table.

"I....I just wanted some water " She says in a broken voice 

"I'll get it for you  " I say immediately getting her a glass of water 

She smiles weakly at me before draining the glass in a single gulp and wiping her mouth with the back of her hand

"You want some more ?"

She shakes her head in  a silent no.

I know Mom hates depending on others , Even me .But since , She is ill she will have  to bear with me fussing over her.

"You woke up early " She looks at me guiltily 

"Not early enough " I say picking up the broken glass pieces

"Trust me I din't mean to wake you up ,Sweetie " 

I sigh " You should have " 

This is the problem with Mom...... She never wakes me up .

She is the reason I have set my alarm to 5 Am in the morning  .To be able to watch over her when she wakes up Since she usually wakes up at that time.

But today she woke up much earlier than that and as usual din't bother waking me up. It makes me angry and  at the same time scared for her.

"Why do you do this Mom?" I say feeling tears of frustration stinging at the back of my eyes " Why don't you call to me , Ever ,When you need help ?"

She remains quiet ,Her eyes not mine "I couldn't sleep , Elene"She says in a low voice

This is another thing of concern to me . Mom doesn't sleep much.

She says she can't . Even if she does manage to, she has terrifying  nightmares that wake her up.

The dark bruise like bags under her eyes are an evidence of her lack of sleep. It hurts me to see her like this . The radiant beautiful women I was used to seeing has all but vanished in the past few months.

Mom  used to look younger than her age . A lot younger. When people saw us together it was a common mistake for them to  take her to be my elder sister . It never failed to make her smile and me to frown . Talk about being over shadowed by your super-good looking mother.

But now ,  She looks almost 20 years older than she is.Her cheeks have lost their rosy complexion. They look sunken and hallow.Her skin has lost its healthy glow .She looks very pale.

She doesn't eat properly , Tires very easily . Sometimes she has trouble even maintaining her balance while walking.

The doctors say she is suffering from anemia and severe Insomnia